Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, May 08 2024 @ 10:31 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Problems with site, and spamming.

Dan Burton

Forum User
I have been having many problems with spamming on my site, and my server has disabling my site.
I believe i need to upgrade my spam software, or Geeklog.

I HAVE BEEN GETTING THIS MESSAGE FROM MY HOST
not sure what is all means.

drwxr-xr-x 7 sharky sharky 4.0k Mar 31 11:51 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 sharky sharky 4.0k Mar 27 10:27 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 sharky sharky 406 Mar 27 10:29 BaseAdmin.class.php
-rw-r--r-- 1 sharky sharky 593 Mar 27 10:29 BaseCommand.class.php
-rw-r--r-- 1 sharky sharky 1.4k Mar 27 10:29 BlackList.Examine.class.php
-rw-r--r-- 1 sharky sharky 1.2k Mar 27 10:29 config.php
-rw-r--r-- 1 sharky sharky 896 Mar 27 10:29 DeleteComment.Action.class.php
d--------- 7 sharky sharky 4.0k Mar 27 10:28 .dev12
-rw-r--r-- 1 sharky sharky 2.8k Mar 27 10:29 EditBlackList.Admin.class.php
-rw-r--r-- 1 sharky sharky 8.8k Mar 27 10:29 functions.inc
-rw-r--r-- 1 sharky sharky 7.0k Mar 27 10:29 Import.Admin.class.php
drwxr-xr-x 2 sharky sharky 4.0k Mar 27 10:29 language
-rw-r--r-- 1 sharky sharky 1.3k Mar 27 10:29 LogView.Admin.class.php
drwxr-xr-x 3 sharky sharky 4.0k Mar 27 10:29 magpierss
-rw-r--r-- 1 sharky sharky 1.2k Mar 27 10:29 MailAdmin.Action.class.php
-rw-r--r-- 1 sharky sharky 4.2k Mar 27 10:29 MassDelete.Admin.class.php
-rw-r--r-- 1 sharky sharky 34 Mar 27 10:29 MTBlackList.Examine.class.php
d--------- 7 sharky sharky 4.0k Mar 27 10:29 .psy
-rw-r--r-- 1 sharky sharky 6.4k Mar 27 10:29 rss.inc.php
-rw-r--r-- 1 sharky sharky 4.7k Mar 27 10:29 spamx.html
drwxr-xr-x 2 sharky sharky 4.0k Mar 27 10:29 templates
[root@saturn spamx]#

In order fror the site to run cotrectly, should i update the geeklog, or should it just be the spamx. I am a novice at this, and want the simplest option..

Thanks

Dan

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
There was an issue in older Geeklog versions where an incorrectly installed Geeklog could be used for spamming. It involved the files you mentioned.

First of all, you should get rid of those .dev12 and .psy directories. They are not part of Geeklog and have probably been created by the spammers.

You didn't mention which version of Geeklog you are on and how you installed it (let me guess: it involved Fantastico?).

My advice would be to update to the most recent Geeklog version ASAP. Not only because of your spam issue, but also since a few serious security issues have been discovered recently. You can download the latest version here.

See if you can make sense of the instructions (also included). If you can't, we have a few folks willing to help you out for a small fee.

bye, Dirk

Dan Burton

Forum User
Dirk
Thanks for your help.
I will have a look, and see if i can do this. Doesn't look too hard.
The ver has been there since 05. My friend installed it for me.

Pardon me, where would these dev12 and .psy directories be?
Dan

Dan Burton

Forum User
MY VER ONLY HAS A CONFIG FILE, SO I THINK IT AN OLD VER.
I HAVE ADDED THE DOWNLOADED FOLDER, AND ADDED THE NEW CONFIG FILE, WITH THE OLD CONFIG, AND PLUGIN FOLDER.

WHERE IS THE GEEKLOG WIZZARD? OR THE ADMIN FOLDER?

DAN

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Could you please fix your Caps Lock key? :shock:

Call up the install script (aka Geeklog Wizard). If you installed everything correctly, it'll be at

http://www.example.com/admin/install/

(with your domain name instead of example.com, of course)

bye, Dirk

Dan Burton

Forum User
Sorry for the Caps!
Nothing appeared.....
http://www.un...es.co.uk/site
http://www.un...es.co.uk/site/admin/install/

I installed the new info in the site folder (where this old data was), kept the old config, and the plugin folder.

Dan

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
You're missing a "public_html" in those URLs (edited above, so people can not mess with your install script).

But that means that you did not install Geeklog correctly. Only the bits inside the public_html directory should be accessible from the web, everything else should not (which, in combination with an oversight in Geeklog, was the source of your problems in the first place).

I'm afraid we removed the explanation of that part from the installation instructions, so let me quote from an older version:
The following instructions will refer to the public_html directory a lot. Here is what this is all about:

Basically, a Geeklog installation consists of two parts: The part that is visible "to the world" - which is everything in the public_html directory. "public_html" is a popular name for the world-accessible directory that can be found on a webserver ("htdocs" and "www" are other popular names). So if you have such a directory, just copy everything from Geeklog's public_html directory into that directory on your webserver. Then you only need to set up $_CONF['path_html'] (in config.php) to point to that directory.

The other part of Geeklog, which is everything outside the public_html directory, should not be accessible via a URL since it contains sensitive information. So you should really put those files and directories outside of your document root (i.e. outside the web server's public_html, htdocs, or www directory). Then you only need to set up $_CONF['path'] (again, in config.php) to point to the place where you put those files and directories.

Separating the install in this way will also ensure that you can access your Geeklog site directly via a domain name (if you have one), e.g. http://www.yourdomain.com/, and that you don't need to include "public_html" in the URL.

If your hosting service does not allow you to install files outside of your document root, please see this FAQ entry on geeklog.net: Installing Geeklog entirely within the web root.

config.php has been replaced with the Configuration admin panel (and, in part, the new install script) in 1.5.x, but the rest of the description is still valid.

bye, Dirk

Dan

Anonymous
Dirk
Do you have anyone that can assist me with sorting out this problem?
Secondly I added a new site, and having problems with adding static pages.
I get this warning.
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /home/sharky/public_html/site2/site2aP5Grgz/system/lib-webservices.php on line 520

Info from line 520
$entry_element = $atom_doc->getElementsByTagName('entry'Wink->item(0);

What bit need sorting?

Thanks

Dan

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:31 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content