Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 01:36 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

how to install geeklog on godaddy

justme

Anonymous
Ive recently gotten a deluxe hosting package on godaddy and im thinking about trying geeklog out but from what i can tell godaddy does a crappy install on their automatic installs. So i figured i would try it myself but im having a hard time figuring out how exactly to do it , godaddy doesnt offer a directory below root ( or a real root for that matter ) so i took all the public files and dumped them into the root they do give you and i renamed the folder for all the other files and gave it a different name in the root directory. When i try to do an install i cant find the db-config.conf file no matter if i give it the correct directory for example /Genericname/db-config.conf ive even tried domain_name/Genericname/db-config.conf and i tried ../Genericname/db-config.conf. the main thing im trying to avoid is the web addresses being www.domainname.com/ geeklog/filename.php and have it be www.domainname.com/filename.php ( avoiding having the subdirectory in the site address ) anyone have any experience with what im talking about?

Daniel

Anonymous
use i.e.:

/home/content/K/e/l/Keldaria/html/Genericname/db-config.php

where Keldaria is YOUR godaddy ftp username
and K/e/l the first 3 letters of it

just figured it out after couple hours of surfing )

Daniel

justme

Anonymous
i just tried that and no luck for example i tried

/home/content/f/t/p/ftpusername/html/genericname/db-config.php

i appreciate the research i must be missing something, i did notice your reply post is now something like number 5 when i do a google search.

justme

Anonymous
Dan you where correct if its the only domain that you host ( other domains go in subfolders) so in my case i had to use the main ftp login then add a subfolder such as

/home/content/m/a/i/mainftpusername/subfolder/html/genericname/db-config.php

mainftpuser name being the main ftp user name on the main account on godaddy

m/a/i = like you said the first 3 letters of the ftp name ( main user ftp usre name that is )

subfold = the subfolder you put the domain in

genericname = the directory you put the files other then public

thanks dan you where right but i had one other variable in the mix

justme

Anonymous
ooops i typed it wrong its actually

/home/content/m/a/i/mainftpusername/html/subfolder/genericname/db-config.php

Daniel

Anonymous
yes, I was installing geeklog myself and ran into the same problem you did, had to figure it out..
but other than that, installation went pretty smoothly Smile
geeklog is great script for managing articles and running a community.
I've tried joomla and couple other CMS's, geeklog beats them all, it's really easy, fast and practical.

anywho, glad I could help!

Daniel

iam

Anonymous
Quote by: Daniel

yes,
I've tried joomla and couple other CMS's, geeklog beats them all, it's really easy, fast and practical.

anywho, glad I could help!

Daniel

Hi Daniel, that's very true. If you look at Geeklog logo and you may think that it so funny logo. but if you know Geeklog well than you will confidence to use it. spamer can't touch your site ever more.

Kathy

Anonymous
stupid
Quote by: justme

ooops i typed it wrong its actually /home/content/m/a/i/mainftpusername/html/subfolder/genericname/db-config.php

I've been reading all of the installation guides and all of the advice in the forums. I'm trying to install on godaddy. I've moved the files from public_html to another directory that I created. But now I don't know what the next step is... I realize I have to type in something like the above example, but I'm not sure what or where that goes. Can someone help? :helpme:

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Once the files are in place and you have an empty database, the next step would be to call up the install script (in your web browser). It will guide you through the rest of the install.

The actual URL depends on where exactly you placed the files, but typically it would be something like

http://www.example.com/admin/install/

bye, Dirk

justme

Anonymous
just like dirk said go to the address he listed then when it asks for the db-config.php file you will either go with dans example ofr mine if its in a subfolder of your main domain for example my domain was a subfolder of my main hosting like domain2.com was really a folder of domain1.com , it gets confusing the way its laid out , it would be a lot easier if godaddy just gave you a root directory.

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:36 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content