Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 09:17 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Unable to pass the current user logged into geeklog

eweihrauch

Forum User
Hi all!

I've tried to pass the currently logged in user from Geeklog to external (or heck even a static page) php code to basically say, the current logged in user is [user].

However, despite trying things like $_USER['username'], or even trying to pass that into a variable in the url to post to an external page, it's just not working... any ideas on how to do this?

If I include an echo for $_USER['username'] on something like index.php, the user name is passed, so I know it's not NOT getting it..

I basically have a form that once filled out, hits a MySQL database that looks to see if you've already made an entry into the table (e.g. a user is signing up for an additional service account, but it's one account per customer), and if so stops the code and tells you to forget it.

Likewise, once logged in, i'll use the same data to allow the user to show the info linked to the external service as well.

But in order to do so I need to get the current user...

I've done this before with phpBB directly but never with Geeklog, but am really lost on why I'm having such a difficult time passing the darned variable Smile

Thanks for any assistance!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Could it be something simple like a missing
Text Formatted Code
global $_USER;
in your code?

bye, Dirk

eweihrauch

Forum User
You know, that could be it.

Ok, dumber q (sorry I've been away from coding for quite a while so It's still slowly coming back), where is the best place to put that, index.php?

eweihrauch

Forum User
Ok, got it working (yay).

For the record, when doing a static page, here is what I did to get things working:

require_once('../lib-common.php'Wink;
global $_USER;

$test = $_USER['username'];
echo "$test";

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
You shouldn't need to include lib-common.php - Geeklog already did that for you. The PHP code in a Static Page is called from within a function, so that's why you need the global declaration.

Btw, my previous answer was a bit vague since I thought you were writing your own .php file. Would have helped to mention static pages ...

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:17 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content