Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 08:15 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

email problems

breaks

Anonymous
Hi,
I have installed geeklog on WAMP (PHP 5.26, Apache 2.28, Geeklog 1.4.1) on my windows PC. I am doing everything locally before I go out to the real world and get someone to host this.

I have configured the config.php to use gmail SMTP as:

$_CONF['mail_settings'] = array (
'backend' => 'smtp', // can be one of 'mail', 'sendmail', 'smtp'
'host' => 'smtp.gmail.com',
'port' => '587',
'auth' => true,
'username' => 'myemail@gmail.com',
'password' => 'mypassword'
);

I have set my gmail to allow POP and IMAP. I have also checked I can access my gmail through thunderbird, all ok.

When my website goes to invoke any email function, e.g. create a new user, contact the admin, it tells the email has sent ok. However, when I go to check the email has been sent it clearly hasn't.

I have scanned all the webpages, checked my pear settings, all the usual stuff and all looks ok. I can get any error message.

Is there any logs I could check?

Cheers

breaks

Anonymous
Sorry meant to say, I have checked spam folders and emails not there. What's disturbing is that geeklog operates as if everything is ok. I don't get any error message and I can't seem to get any log.

beewee

Forum User
Did you put some spaces or special characters in your site name? That resulted in email problems sometimes.
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

mst3kroqs

Forum User
Regular Poster
Quote by: beewee

Did you put some spaces or special characters in your site name? That resulted in email problems sometimes.

Gmail requires the use of SSL for POP3/SMTP, as well as authentication for both sending as well as receiving mail. GL/PHP does not natively support SSL.

If you're feeling adventuresome - you could try installing Mercury/32 as a local SMTP relaay which would use GMail as your upstream SmartHost. This would allow you to send the mail to the local server in it's unencrypted form, and theoretically Mercury can be configured to utilize SSL when spooling to the upstream.

Gmail utilizes SMTP/SSL (TCP 465), and requires outgoing authentication based upon your GMail account username and password.

-m

jmucchiello

Forum User
Quote by: breaks

What's disturbing is that geeklog operates as if everything is ok. I don't get any error message and I can't seem to get any log.

Nothing disturbing about this at all. Internet email is a fragile old service and does not include guarenteed delivery. GL cannot give you error messages that don't exist. GL did its job and the rest is up to your mail server. If you didn't configure it correctly, GL can't really tell.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: jmucchiello

GL cannot give you error messages that don't exist. GL did its job and the rest is up to your mail server. If you didn't configure it correctly, GL can't really tell.

There are actually cases where Geeklog wouldn't give you an error message even if something went wrong. From the ChangeLog:
- fixed bug [#648] sending new password email returns "Ok" message although
it fails when SMTP Server cannot be reached [Oliver]

(fixed in 1.5.0) However, if you don't get an error from any of Geeklog's email functions, then the email has been sent and is lost elsewhere ...

bye, Dirk

breaks

Anonymous
Quote by: Dirk

GL cannot give you error messages that don't exist. GL did its job and the rest is up to your mail server. If you didn't configure it correctly, GL can't really tell.

There are actually cases where Geeklog wouldn't give you an error message even if something went wrong. From the ChangeLog:

(fixed in 1.5.0) However, if you don't get an error from any of Geeklog's email functions, then the email has been sent and is lost elsewhere ...

bye, Dirk

Hi,
I am wondering might the problems I am having be something to do with the PEAR install that comes with Geeklog (The one I am using) thinks it is using Unix and has access to programs like sendmail?

I am using windows, this might be the problem

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

I am wondering might the problems I am having be something to do with the PEAR install that comes with Geeklog (The one I am using) thinks it is using Unix and has access to programs like sendmail?

That's what the 'backend' option is for. If you set it to 'smtp', it will try and talk directly to your SMTP server. Sendmail is only used when you set backend to 'sendmail'.

bye, Dirk

mst3kroqs

Forum User
Regular Poster

bye, Dirk

Hi,

No - I tried to explain before - you cannot relay outbound mail via GMail unless you are using SSL(TLS) and SMTP authentication. PEAR:Mail is fairly platform-independent, except the sendmail option doesn't work. This is why GL comes configured with 'mail' as the default. (the sendmail_path and sendmail_args settings are ignored).

Suggest you use 'smtp', and use your ISP's outbound SMTP mail relay instead. Go to their help page and look up the instructions on how to setup a mail client, hopefully they will provide you with an option that does not require SSL/TLS.

Therefore:

'backend' = smtp
'host' = (your ISP's outbound SMTP mail relay)
'port' = 25
'auth' = 1 if your ISP requires authentication, otherwise 0
'smtp-username' = (obvious, required only if auth=1)
'smtp-password' = (obvious, required only if auth=1)

-m

jasonjones

Forum User
No - I tried to explain before - you cannot relay outbound mail via GMail unless you are using SSL(TLS) and SMTP authentication. PEAR:Mail is fairly platform-independent, except the sendmail option doesn't work. This is why GL comes configured with 'mail' as the default. (the sendmail_path and sendmail_args settings are ignored).

Suggest you use 'smtp', and use your ISP's outbound SMTP mail relay instead. Go to their help page and look up the instructions on how to setup a mail client, hopefully they will provide you with an option that does not require SSL/TLS.

Therefore:

'backend' = smtp
'port' = 25

-m

So GL and gmail SMTP do NOT get along?
I'm curious, to the anonymous user that started this thread...
as I'm having the same exact problem you have (almost verbatim, I did the Thunderbird test too), what did you end up doing with your SMTP configuration? Did you use your ISP's? Or did you find a magical workaround to get around using SSL(TLS)?

Over and out,

jasonjones

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: jasonjones

[So GL and gmail SMTP do NOT get along?[/p]

I wrote this wiki article and at the time, it did work for me. It's possible that Google changed something since then. Feedback welcome ...

bye, Dirk

jasonjones

Forum User

Therefore:

'backend' = smtp
'port' = 25

-m

as I'm having the same exact problem you have (almost verbatim, I did the Thunderbird test too), what did you end up doing with your SMTP configuration? Did you use your ISP's? Or did you find a magical workaround to get around using SSL(TLS)?

Over and out,

jasonjones

I gave up trying to get SMTP with google to work.
I reverted back to using my ISP.
I can send out emails, but they end up in the SPAM box for my users that use Yahoo for email.
Any ideas on how I can fix this issue?
I knew that if I got SMTP working using google, I would not have to worry about this, but it looks like GL and google are still not getting along. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Over and out,

jj

jasonjones

Forum User

Therefore:

'backend' = smtp
'port' = 25

-m

Over and out,

jasonjones

I gave up trying to get SMTP with google to work.
I reverted back to using my ISP.
I can send out emails, but they end up in the SPAM box for my users that use Yahoo for email.
Any ideas on how I can fix this issue?
I knew that if I got SMTP working using google, I would not have to worry about this, but it looks like GL and google are still not getting along. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Over and out,

jj

Any ideas at all?
My ISP is useless as well as my hosting company in terms of helping me out on this issue.
Whenever user with a yahoo email account registers to my site, the registration email ends up in their spam box.
As mentioned above, GL does not work nicely with gmail's SMTP.
Does anyone have any ideas for me to try to take care of this SPAM issue?

I appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,

jj

jmucchiello

Forum User

Whenever user with a yahoo email account registers to my site, the registration email ends up in their spam box.

Have you tried talking to Yahoo? Something in your mail headers is telling Yahoo that you are a spammer. This is probably because your host provider is too friendly to spammers and you are getting dumped into the same bucket.

breaks

Anonymous
sad
Quote by: mst3kroqs

bye, Dirk

Hi,

Therefore:

'backend' = smtp
'port' = 25

-m

Thanks for getteing back to me. I was hoping to develop the website offline, get used to geeklog before I went off and paid to get it hosted.
Basically I used you stated I can't use gmail because I am not using SSL and I haven't clue how to. I had a look at that mercury mail server but being honest it's too complicated for me.

Thanks for your help.

mst3kroqs

Forum User
Regular Poster
Have you considered just adding text to your language file in the section where the system indicates it has sent you mail, and add a warning that the user should ensure that the confirmation e-Mail should not be blocked by their anti-SPAM software?

Does YaHoo have a whitelisting capability that the user can control?

-m

jasonjones

Forum User
Quote by: mst3kroqs

Have you considered just adding text to your language file in the section where the system indicates it has sent you mail, and add a warning that the user should ensure that the confirmation e-Mail should not be blocked by their anti-SPAM software?

Does YaHoo have a whitelisting capability that the user can control?

-m

I have done that for the time being, until I can come up with a real fix to the issue.
Giving them warning text is more putting a band aid on the problem than 'curing' the problem.
Hopefully I can 'cure' it.

Big Grin

beewee

Forum User
There could be another issue: it might be possible that the text in your e-mail "offends" the Yahoo spamfilter. You could try to change and extend the text , and also remove as much links as possible, and see if this helps.

When not, your ISP's IP address, mailserver or smtp server might be on Yahoo's blacklist indeed. I've seen before that you're warned about confirmation messages ending up in the spambox, so it's not that stupid to warn people when they're register themselves.
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:15 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content