Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, May 02 2024 @ 09:52 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Will Geeklog work for me?

pyros

Forum User
caffeinated
Hello,
Sorry for the vague question so let me be more descriptive.
I run a website with over 7000 stories in basic html, these live within categories like supernatural, classical and other languages.

What I need from a front end
1)links and menu's that can link directly to basic html pages
2)Ability to setup categories (as above) and allow registered authors to write there own stories (some of these stories are 800k+ per chapter)
3)Readers to be able to search via author or category or subtype (Anime section may have Pokemon as a subtype)
4)Restrictive viewing, as in guests won't be able to access the stories or anything other than the front end registration. (very important as alot of the stories are adult in nature)

The old html stories will stay as they are with just a menu so people can reach them, authors will be able to setup there own little area to publish there work, check how many people read it, readers can leave feedback or ratings.

Is this possible in Geeklog without having to learn php.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
From your description, I can only really see two possible issues:

Categories: Geeklog only has flat topics - no subtopics / subcategories. To some extent, I would imagine, you could cover this up by providing hard-coded links to the sections (I'm talking about plain HTML links here, no PHP required).

Story size: In a default install, Geeklog's stories are limited to 64K. But that is only the default database scheme. If you changed that once, you could store much longer stories (e.g. by switching to type MEDIUMTEXT, which can hold up to 16 MCool.

Other than that, Geeklog should be capable of doing what you want. For the links to your old content, you could either write the HTML yourself of use a plugin like glMenu.

And Geeklog's permission system will make sure that only people with the proper access rights will be able to see the content they are supposed to see.

HTH

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:52 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content