Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, May 07 2024 @ 03:30 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Stories per Page under Topics

Quads

Forum User
Junior
I've got an issue I don't know if it's new or what, but it seems I was able to configure this some time ago in the past, however it's having no effect on it now.

When I try and change the Stories/Page value from 10 (default) to say 5 for a particular topic, I see no change on it.

www.pcpotato.com is the site I'm working with, and It is currently set to 5 stories per page, however it seems to be locked at 10.
Others, (different 'topics) are set to 20 and they seem to work correctly.

I've dug through the config.php and didn't see anything there.
Running 1.4.1 with chameleon and nothing fancy other than out of the box functionality.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Regards-
~PCP

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
For this to work, you'll have to set your "Maximum Stories" (in My Account > Layout & Language) to 0.

Your preferences there override the system's settings (both from config.php and from the topics settings).

bye, Dirk

Quads

Forum User
Junior
Quote by: Dirk

For this to work, you'll have to set your "Maximum Stories" (in My Account > Layout & Language) to 0.

Your preferences there override the system's settings (both from config.php and from the topics settings).

bye, Dirk

Thank you Dirk.
Does that effect me (logged in) as a view, as well guests / non-members as well?
My goal is to change it globally for all viewers.

**EDIT**
I just looked at My Account > Layout & Language and it is currently set to 0 and I still have the issue on the front page.

Confused:

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
For anoynmous users, the "Max. Stories" setting is always 0.

Looking at the code, if a user's "Max. Stories" is 0 and the topic's setting is something other than 0, then that should take precedence over everything else ($_CONF['minnews'] and $_CONF['limitnews'] also play a role here, but only for "Max. Stories" values other than 0).

Not sure if Chameleon changes anything there. Does it require changes in index.php?

bye, Dirk

Quads

Forum User
Junior
This is what I'm finding after digging around a little further.
In the topic itself ( http://pcpotato.com/index.php?topic=General ) it shows up correctly, with 5 stories per page (versus using the default of 10) However on the front page, I have the default of 10 (http://pcpotato.com/index.php) Which is where I'm wanting this setting to take effect.

Each of the stories on the front page are under the "General" topic, and are set to "show on front page"

So, maybe I'm not asking / defining the issue correctly.

The topic is displaying 5 / page as set, however this isn't behaving the same way on the front page.

I hope that makes more sense in how I'm describing it, and what I'm trying to do.

So with the above, let me re-state my question:
How do I *only* display 5 stories per page on the front page?

I haven't played with it, but would it possibly be this setting in config.php?
$_CONF['limitnews'] = 10;

TIA-

Regards-
PC

Quads

Forum User
Junior
Text Formatted Code

$_CONF['limitnews']             = 5;

It looks like the above controls the number of stories on the front page.
This is safe to change? Seems to do what I'm looking for on the front page.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
The per-topic settings are only valid for the topic in question, i.e. for index.php?topic=xxx.

So, yes, $_CONF['limitnews'] is the option to control the number of posts on the front page.

bye, Dirk

Quads

Forum User
Junior
Thank you Dirk.
I appreciate the input and guidance.

Cheers-

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:30 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content