Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 10:50 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

RSS Logo

John

Anonymous
Hi. I read a comment Dirk replied to (forgot to bookmark the url to post here) where Dirk refers the person asking to header.thtml in order to point to the orange icon that rss feeds use (the most common one).

I got the feeds page working well, but can't seem to find a way to make the icon show on my page... I opened header.thtml and tried to format the section on top, the one next to the "SHORTCUT ICON" where favicon.ico goes (name for the common rss feed orange icon) but it still does not show... Can anyone help me out pointing me in the right direction, like making a suggestion of how this should be written so the orange icon shows. My preference would be in the footer.thtml since many sites have that orange rss feed icon there, but don't know if that would bring up my rss page since Dirk mentioned only the header.thtml file.. Thanks for helping. Below is part of the header.thtml code to give you an idea. Thanks John

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>{page_title}</title>
<!-- link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="{site_url}/favicon.ico" -->
<!--
<meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache">
-->
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="{css_url}" title="{theme}">
{feed_url}
{rel_links}
{plg_headercode}
{advanced_editor}
<!-- Load Common Javascript Libraries -->
<script type="text/javascript" src="{site_url}/javascript/common.js"></script>

</head>

<body dir="{direction}">
<div class="header-navigation-container">
<div class="header-navigation-line">
{menu_elements}
</div>
</div>

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Not sure which post of mine you're referring to - it may have been an old one.

For current versions of Geeklog, the way to "get the orange icon" is

1) make sure you have {feed_url} in your header.thtml (you have that)

2) Select something other than "None" from the "Header-link in topic" dropdown in the feed editor (Content Syndication). That option tells Geeklog on which pages to add the feed link to the header.

bye, Dirk

John

Anonymous
Thanks for the reply Dirk. I followed your instructions but not yet able to see the orange rss feed icon on my homepage. I clicked the drop down menu in Content Syndication header-link-in topic in my Admin area and selected All (since you specified to select other than None) and in the Feed Logo box right under I entered http://mysitename.com/layout/professional/images/favicon.png which is the URL that leads to where I have the orange icon (images file) and nothing displays when I refresh the homepage.

When you said that I already have the {feed_url} section in my header.thtml file did you imply that I have to substitute that with my site's URL leading to where favicon.png is in the images file or leave it like that?.

Another thing I noticed is that when I changed the file name in my Content Syndication page and click on Save it keeps the old file I had there when I get back to that page instead of the newer name.

What do you think I may be doing wrong?. Thanks for your help here. John

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Please note that the favicon has nothing to do with the RSS icon.

As I said, if you have {feed_url} in your theme's header.thtml, then everything else should happen automatically. I guess the URL of your site would help at this point ...

bye, Dirk

John

Anonymous
Thanks for the info...I managed to spot two mistakes I made. One of them was to upload the rss icon to the image file in layout instead of the image file on public_html. I fixed that and also using a relative URL in the Content Syndication panel in the Feeds Logo box. I had included an absolute URL and found that out when I noticed my feeds file had a repeated URL.

Despite fixing those problems, I still don't see the RSS icon in my homepage. I am using a static page for homepage and could not find enough info here to know if that is a problem that could impede the display of the rss logo....I allowed php on my static page, but that did not do it either.

Feel free to take a look at my URL at http://yougivetheline.com The link to my feeds page is http://yougivetheline.com/backend/geeklog.rss

I can see the orange RSS icon when I use the link http://yougivetheline.com/images/rssicon.png It displays in my browser but don't know why it still does not show on my homepage... Thanks for helping. John

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: John

I am using a static page for homepage and could not find enough info here to know if that is a problem that could impede the display of the rss logo

Indeed. If you go to http://yougivetheline.com/index.php?topic=Geeklog, the icon is there. On your homepage, it isn't.

I guess that's a bug. Have to look into it.

Btw, there still seems to be some confusion: The RSS icon is displayed by your browser - it's not taken from your website.

bye, Dirk

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: Dirk

I guess that's a bug. Have to look into it.

Hmm, I can't see anything obviously wrong with the code.

I've also noticed that the icon is missing from your stats.php page while that works just fine on ours here. Do you really have the "Header-link in topic" set to "All" for your feed?

bye, Dirk

John

Anonymous
Thanks for the reply. You said the icon shows in your browser even if it doesn't on my homepage, but it does not show on mine (I am using the latest version of IE).

I thought that once I set the right configuration in the Content Syndication area, the orange color icon would display on some part of my webpage like it does on other geeklog sites (for example http://selfautotech.com and other geeklog sites I have visited to see if they got the RSS feeds section displayed) The feeds in many of these sites displaying on the right blocks of their sites like I wanted to do on mine.

I had the Header-in-link set to Geeklog but now set it to All and it does not display the orange icon either. Do you know what type of bug this may be and if there is anything I can do to fix it by changing any configuration in any file or folder. Thanks again. John

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Okay, we've been talking about different things then - which explains the confusion.

I was talking about the feed icon that some browsers automatically display in their address bar when they find links to RSS feeds in a site's header. Firefox, for example, displays the well-known orange feed icon on the right end of the address bar. Safari shows a blue "RSS" box there, etc. I don't know what (if anything) IE would display then.

FYI, I do see the feed icon in Firefox now when I go to your site's homepage.

What you were talking about, however, are side blocks like the one we have here on geeklog.net ("RSS Feeds", on the right side of the frontpage). Those, however, are not generated automatically. In our case, it's simply a "normal" block with the necessary HTML and CSS for those 4 feeds added manually.

If you want one of those, I'd suggest you simply "steal" our code and put it into a new block on your site.

Hope that clears up the confusion Smile

bye, Dirk

John

Anonymous
Thanks Dirk. You helped me clear that confusion. I thought that by changing the settings in the Content Syndication area the feed icon will automatically display somewhere on my home page. I am not that acquainted with html or with geeklog altogether and glad at least I got a clearer picture about what to do.

I copied the right block code from geeklog.net homepage and will adjust it to my site's setting. I assume I will have to configure this code in the rightblocks.thml file under layout and in the style.css file, right?.

I will play with the options and see what comes out of it. Thanks for the help.

One other thing that came up during my quest for solutions to the rss icon problem was finding out that my email displays in the feeds page. I noticed that on other people's feed pages. Isn't that a security thing given that spammers can grab this information just knowing?. That will bypass having an email form for email replies. I don't know if this happens only for RSS feeds or if the Admin email also displays on other types of feeds like Atom, etc. I only use RSS for my site.

Sorry for popping up another issue. It is sort of related to the RSS but not to my previous icon problem. Thanks for helping. Have a great day!
John

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

I assume I will have to configure this code in the rightblocks.thml file under layout and in the style.css file, right?.

Just create a "normal" block from the Admin's "Blocks" menu. You can enter the HTML and CSS right there.

One other thing that came up during my quest for solutions to the rss icon problem was finding out that my email displays in the feeds page. I noticed that on other people's feed pages. Isn't that a security thing given that spammers can grab this information just knowing?

Most of the emails that your site will send out (e.g. when a new user signs up) will use that email address, too. So the chances of keeping it "secret" are pretty slim anyway.

Some functions require an email address to be exposed, if we want to play nicely and stick to standards. So the only suggestion I can make is not to use an "important" email address for your site's email.

bye, Dirk

John

Anonymous
Thanks. I got finally got it working. I used the block functions from the Admin area (as you indicate in your comment here) and managed to get the RSS logo placed there-the only thing was the logo is not clickable as the one on the homepage of geeklog net but that is no problem for the link under is.
I did not know about the Admin email displaying but tested the function as a user and it does. Thanks for the info and the help Dirk. John

John

Anonymous
Thanks. I got finally got it working. I used the block functions from the Admin area (as you indicate in your comment here) and managed to get the RSS logo placed there-the only thing was the logo is not clickable as the one on the homepage of geeklog net but that is no problem for the link under is.
I did not know about the Admin email displaying but tested the function as a user and it does. Thanks for the info and the help Dirk. John

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:50 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content