Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 12:00 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Help for story.admin

Nicholas

Anonymous
Dear GL gurus,

I have been a GL user for many years and really appreciate this cms. Like to seek some assistance on 2 features:

1) How can I give story.admin & story.edit rights to selected registered users (logged-in) capabilities to post stories with upload images in a user friendly way like the way GL admin can BUT they only see/edit their own stories and not all the stories posted by all users in GL?

2) Is there a way I can modify FCK editor to allow easier image uploads for logged in users skipping the need to use [imagex] tags which confuses some user? The upload functionality is an extra step that sometimes confused users and doesn't work sometimes without error messages.

Thanks & Best Regards
Nicholas

1000ideen

Forum User
If you want someone to see/edit only his own stories then you can tick off all other rights. Either do this in the topics or each story. Also create a group with story.edit rights.

Nicholas

Anonymous
Goodday! Could someone advise me

- how I configure logged-in users to have story.edit right to post stories BUT they should only be able to edit their own posts and not other stories? currently if I give them story.edit rights, they can edit all stories on GL.

- how can i give logged in users the same tabbed base story edit/contribute GUI to contribute stories without giving them admin rights?

- does anyone has a hack that allows upload of images directly from browsing off a users local PC rather than having to upload to the image library as in the FCKeditor now? seems more intuitive that way.

Would really appreciate any advise or ideas and if I can modify the codes to get the above to work, will surely post back for everyone. I love GL but really need to make it more intuitive for users to post stories akin to them having their own blogs.

Thanks.

1000ideen

Forum User
1 - create a separate group with story.edit rights
3 - if you are in the story editor and go for "images" there is an instruction.

Users need no admin rights to submit stories. If they have story.admin rights they can only change the stories within their group if you set it so. It is a logical task.

Dazzy

Forum User

- how I configure logged-in users to have story.edit right to post stories BUT they should only be able to edit their own posts and not other stories? currently if I give them story.edit rights, they can edit all stories on GL.

Ok if you create a group say Story_mod with story.edit and story.submit rights, and then edit the topics you want users to be able to post in, change the group to Story_mod and then tick the box to give this group edit privledges. This then only enables users to edit their own stories as your Story_mod group only permits the story owner to edit the story.

But you run into the issue which I am finding very difficult to get by of having 'user blogs' mixed with News Topics. ie your url will look like ..../index.php?topic=username, not really cool is it to have users as topics!

- how can i give logged in users the same tabbed base story edit/contribute GUI to contribute stories without giving them admin rights?

As far as I know the full navbar in stories is only available to thsoe woith story.admin rights.

Would really appreciate any advise or ideas and if I can modify the codes to get the above to work, will surely post back for everyone. I love GL but really need to make it more intuitive for users to post stories akin to them having their own blogs. [/p]

I am in the same boat and even posted a feeler about a User Blog plugin but there was no interest, the more I look into my idea the more I am seeing I will have to look at other systems, reluctantly.
Dazzy

1000ideen

Forum User
It would be good to have more details like how many users / friends are to blog, is it commercial etc.

If you have some 10 friends to blog with you you can make 10 groups with story.edit right and everyone can only edit within their specific group.

If you are looking for a larger multi blog system, this has always been a special feature of Drupal. In a commercial context there is wordpress mu.

The biggest problem is to make people blog at all. Usually they say they will blog with you but after a while it is a dead project.

Another alternative is to use several Geeklogs and "somehow" pick up the results (maybe the RSS of the blog postings) in another installation.

nicholas

Forum User
Junior
Thanks everyone, my intended purpose is to create a blog & portal for my group of likeminded motoring hobby enthusiasts. My desire is to give the registered members more network community like features like being able to have their own blog & photo album (e.g. www.geeklog.net/username) on the website which is viewable by public, yet be able to still see all members posts on the main website URL (e.g. www.geeklog.net) in the default GL index.php.

I have reviewed many other CMS and community software over many mths but being a fan of GL, I'm really keen to see if I can interest anyone to enhance GL with these features. In appreciation, I would be glad to donate to the community or buy it as a premium plugin like portalparts.com.

nicholas

Forum User
Junior
Oh, by the way, what I don't understand with the method of creating a new group with story.edit, story.admin rights and then assigning this new group to members is they still can't edit their own stories unless we give them topic.edit rights. However, once we give them topic.edit rights, members now have access to edit topics which I'm trying to avoid for data integrity reasons. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: nicholas

they still can't edit their own stories unless we give them topic.edit rights.

That shouldn't be necessary. Please see Setting up a Story Admin for details.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:00 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content