Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 07:43 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Bad Words and censoring

Kilroy01

Forum User
Has anyone compiled a comprehensive "bad words" list. I'm sure that I could come up with a long list myself, but I'm sure that I would miss alot, too. I'm trying to start a family-friendly site and want to filter as thoroughly as possible.

Also, are there any good live chat programs out there that allow filtering? I would really like to have a chat room on my site, but all the ones I have tried out have no means of filtering words and there cannot be a moderator in the room 24/7.

Thanks...

P.S. Love Geeklog!!! Keep up the great work.

1000ideen

Forum User
I think nobody replied because you forgot to mention in what language you`d like that comprehensive "bad words" list Confused And, does pronunciation count or just spelling?

To be honest I usually turn that filter off, because it produces more problems than solutions.

What about telling each user that he should feel responsible for what he says in public? You could give some positive examples on your site.

tacomamama

Forum User
Hi Kilroy,

I run a family-friendly geeklog and I've found the standard word censoring that came with installation to be more than I want (won't let me say "*censored*tails" for example).

What I do is require moderator approval for stories, registration for forum posts, and use the spamx plugin. I get comment spam here and there, usually recommending male enhancement drugs. This is so ubiquitous at this point that I don't think anyone is offended anymore. (Also, I don't allow HTML in comments and they always include links. They're not even readable.)

Personally I wouldn't want to go down the slippery slope of being responsible for a live chat room. If you're going to have one I think it's best to have a big disclaimer and expect people to monitor their own children.

Of course, if you start to get page views in the high hundreds of thousands per day you will attract more nefarious activity, but at that point I would think you could have advertising that would offset the cost of babysitting it.

Hope that helps,

Jennifer
tacomamama.com

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
For a chatting program you could try flash chat over at tufat.com

It's a great program that should integrate well with Geeklog. I'm pretty sure it has a censored word list but don't quote me on it. It costs $5
One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:43 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content