Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, May 04 2024 @ 06:42 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Users not receiving email upon registration?

Shawn H.

Anonymous
I have the latest geeklog installed and I checked, my hosting has sendmail and yet people still do not get their emails upon registration.

I tried the mass mail and that works just fine.

I noticed a trend that a lot of people with this problem had the forum plugin installed.

I really would like some insight into this as it is pain.

trampoline

Forum User
Hi Shaun,
I would ditch your ISP's offering and use SMTP mail option (in config.php) why ?
Well e.mail is increasingly filtered and you need the e.mail server with a correct PTR Record set up with the ISP who hosts the ADSL line or what ever the mail server is hosted on. So if you are using your ISP I assume you do not run your own servers. You must set up an e.amil account with the mail service you are using, then geeklog can send mail out through that.
I can assure you
1/ if you do not do this 100% of the e.mails sent to AOL will never be delivered AOL demands this setup
2/ Yahoo will take up to 20 minutes to accept an e.mail from a server with no PTR record set up.

So in short allways send mail with a real smtp account, an added benefit is you can use maxbulk mailer (for Macs) or some othe program to send out mass mailings and actually pick up the replie as well using a seperate program....

Hope that all made sense...

Trampoline...

Shawn H.

Anonymous
Quote by: trampoline

Hi Shaun,
I would ditch your ISP's offering and use SMTP mail option (in config.php) why ?
Well e.mail is increasingly filtered and you need the e.mail server with a correct PTR Record set up with the ISP who hosts the ADSL line or what ever the mail server is hosted on. So if you are using your ISP I assume you do not run your own servers. You must set up an e.amil account with the mail service you are using, then geeklog can send mail out through that.
I can assure you
1/ if you do not do this 100% of the e.mails sent to AOL will never be delivered AOL demands this setup
2/ Yahoo will take up to 20 minutes to accept an e.mail from a server with no PTR record set up.

So in short allways send mail with a real smtp account, an added benefit is you can use maxbulk mailer (for Macs) or some othe program to send out mass mailings and actually pick up the replie as well using a seperate program....

Hope that all made sense...

Trampoline...

What does that have to do with my post... And what does my ISP have to do with this?

trampoline

Forum User
Try SMTP mail

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: Shawn H.

What does that have to do with my post...

It has everything to do with your post. The registration email often ends up in spam filters, especially with picky ISPs that don't accept email from certain servers or IP ranges. Using SMTP is often the way to get around these restrictions.

:rtfm: Configuring email

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:42 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content