Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 02:19 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Inquiry about Geeklog's Flexibility

sdanzig

Forum User
curious
Hi all,

I'm a programmer (it's been a while since I messed with PHP but I'm not worried) who has used blogs before, but have never run my own. I've toyed with Geeklog a bit on a test site, and I'm wondering what I can do with it. I'm thinking of using it for a movie review site (done before, I know) and I'm wondering...

How easily can I customize the input fields of comments? For instance, I'm thinking I'd like to differentiate between a "review" and a "comment". A review, written by someone with a "reviewer account", would have a film title, year, rating, and text field. A comment would just have a text field. Reviews would be displayed on top, and it's possible there'll be more than one reviews for a movie, in which case they're shown in order. Comments are displayed on the bottom, like any normal blog. I'd also like to be able to access each of these fields as needed in the database..sorting by rating, alphabetically, etc.

I'm not trying to do too much until I get the feel of it, but can someone please offer initial pointers to accomplish what I'm looking for? Is Geeklog right for me?

Thanks.

- Scott

jmucchiello

Forum User
You are going to have to get your hands dirty. There is only one kind of article. You might want to wait for version 1.4.2 of Geeklog where the story code has been turned into is a PHP class object. Then you could subclass your review story from there and make the modifications in fewer places. I don't know a plugin that will let you do this out of the box though. (At least not until one of my secret projects is finished, I expect, this fall/winter.) Good Luck.

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
There is the rating plugin that allows user reviews (available under downloads on this site). You could use autotags to add a review to a staticpage or story or with a small hack you can add a review or rating to every story.
One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:19 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content