Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 30 2024 @ 03:57 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Cannot log in -- passwd is known

IdahoEv

Forum User
About a year ago, I transferred my blog to a new host and then upgraded to GL 1.4. After the upgrade, I could no longer log in. (Before the upgrade, on the new host, I could log in.)

I am 100% confident of my password. I can even confirm it by doing an md5 on the string and see that it is the same as is stored in the passwd field in the database.

Whenever I try to log in, I get the message "You may have mistyped your credentials...". If I try to use the link "forgot your password" and type in my username, I still get the message "You may have mistyped your credentials." rather than a message that it has attempted to mail me my login info.

After three attempts to log in, it won't let me try anymore until some long period of time has gone by. (And I can't figure where in the DB to reset the number of attempts so that I can try again).

Any suggestions are welcome. I have full access to the code and to the database via phpMyAdmin. It seems there has got to be some way for me to get in and recover my poor lost blog, but I'm at a bit of a loss so far.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IdahoEv's Rants: www.idahoev.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
For the quick and easy way, try setting the 'passwd' field in the gl_users table to '5f4dcc3b5aa765d61d8327deb882cf99' for your account, then try to log in using the password "password".

bye, Dirk

IdahoEv

Forum User
By putting a bunch of debug traces in user.php, I have figured out at least one major thing wrong: by the time GL gets to the user authentication section of users.php, $_POST is empty. There is no username, no password, no service... etc.

So obviously it can't log me in. The same thing happens if I attempt to create a new user account.

If anyone can help me figure out where to look to see why $_POST would be empty after submitting a form, I would appreciate it.

IdahoEv

Forum User
I figured it out. I had my site url set to "http://www.mydomain.com/blog/" in config.php. But in my webhost control panel, I had it set so that any reference to http://www.mydomain.com/xxxx was redirected to http://mydomain.com/xxxx.

The redirect script they use apparently doesn't preserve the contents of $_POST.

So all my login forms etc. were submitting to www. ... and then the submitted variables getting clobbered before reaching the processing script.

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:57 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content