Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 11:17 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

can login to admin from firefox but not IE

roc97007

Forum User
Junior
This doesn't seem to be the same type of admin login problem as covered by the FAQ or other forum entries.

I manage three sites (Geeklog version 1.4.1) all on the same server, using separate instances of geeklog. All sites use different table names and different cookie names. (In general, I changed all table names to table_sitename and all cookie names to cookie_sitename.) All instances reside in user's home directories (/home/username) and I'm using URL redirection from godaddy (two sites) and namezero (three sites) to resolve the domain names to http://ip_address/~username.

*I'm* having no problems, either from home (inside my network) or work (outside). But recently I created two sites for two other people to manage, and heard back that they couldn't log in as admin. They would put in the login and password, click "login" and the page wouldn't change -- no error message, but no "Admin Only" menu either. There was some confusion initially because I could not reproduce the problem. I'd log in and it worked fine.

We eventually realized that the difference was Firefox (2.0.1) vs IE (6.something). I was using Firefox, and my customers were using IE. When I used IE, I could reproduce the problem -- log in as Admin, and without errors, you'd get back to the main page but with no Admin menu selections. (Who's Online would show Admin as logged in.) I'm told by one of my customers that she was able to create and use a user login, but couldn't log in as admin. (I haven't verified this yet.)

The closest thing I found to an answer on the forums was to change my security setting from medium to medium-low or lower. I don't have privilages to do that at work (outside my network), so have sent a message out for someone to test that for me. In the meantime, is there anything else I need to look at?

Thanks very much.

Ron (ronc@europa.com)

roc97007

Forum User
Junior
Well, I made it work but the answer is not satisfying. Open Internet Options, go to "Privacy", and set the slider to "Low". Apparently the default these days (it seems to change with each Windows Update...) is Medium High. Setting to Medium isn't good enough.

I guess people who are concerned about things like privacy would be using Firefox anyway, so I guess this is a reasonable solution.

Ron

1000ideen

Forum User
It sounds as if this is rather a non Geeklog problem but a matter of cookies. I have my slider on medium BUT possibly check the firewall settings!

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:17 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content