Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, March 19 2024 @ 12:48 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

No Checkboxes - Batch Delete Users

ishmot

Forum User
Junior
I just installed 1.4.1 and am having problems with the Batch delete users function. The list of users to delete only has a check box by the first user on the list and not the entire list. So I am unable to check off which users I would like to delete? Anyone else having this problem?

thanks,

---->jared

ishmot

Forum User
Junior
Has anyone had success using the batch delete user function in 1.4.1?

Blaine

Forum User
This was working - but looks like a bug has creeped in as part of some recent changes. We will address that shortly - thanks for reporting it.
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

ishmot

Forum User
Junior
if you would like to get into my site and check it out let me know and I'll pm you user info.

Thanks,

---->jared

s_witch

Forum User
Chatty
Ah phew! Thought it was just me. I'm having the exact same issue with 1.4.1b2.
Regards Jill

ishmot

Forum User
Junior
Quote by s_witch: I'm having the exact same issue with 1.4.1b2.

Yup, That's the version I'm running too.

---->jared

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
It appears this has already been fixed in CVS.

bye, Dirk

webjakob

Forum User
Hi.
I am running a geeklog site version 1.4.0sr3.

I have had quite a number of fake registrations most of whom have never logged in, but they're clogging my database, and I want to get rid of them, which is very cumbersome with my current system.
It's doable but I am loath to that kind of repetitive work.

I have just installed Captcha, so now I hope to have stopped further influx.

I have looked at the current beta, and apart from the bug discussed here which seem to remove the reason to upgrade in order to be able to batch delete users, upgrading seems like a huge undertaking given the amount of tweaking I have performed on my current site.

I also gather that since having a built-in feature to do batch-deletion seems to be a necessity, that it is not practical to just delete users directly from the sql via something like phpMyAdmin?

So this leads to some questions:

1) IF I were to upgrade my geeklog installation, then are there some guidelines to follow in order to merge the new codebase with all the additions and tweaks I have performed, such as phpBBBridge and Gallery G2 and recently Captcha and fileMgmt and whatnot, and frankly i don't think I can remember everything I fiddled with here.
The upgrade scenario described in the docs that accompany the installation seem only to apply to a plain vanilla setup, where you can simply dump in the codebase, point it to your current database and go ahead.
I'm sure I am not the first person to face this challenge, so there must some experience as to how to do this in a smart way?

2) Do i really have to upgrade in order to batch delete users?
It would appear that there must be a large number of users in a situation similar to mine; they have already been infested with a large number of fake-users, and they want to remove these users, but upgrading seem like a huge task in order to remove the users.
I imagine that it would be quite simple to build a rough interface outside of geeklog, that could access the database with that only purpose to batch-delete users.
and maybe someone has already made such a simple interface, or could see the point of doing it?

3) What do you think? Smile

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
As mentioned elsewhere, the batch delete only uses information that's already being collected by the current Geeklog release. So it would be possible to write a plugin for older versions that does the same. Actually, I think a few hacks have already been posted in the forums - try a search.

When deleting users, you will have to make sure to remove their entries from all the user* tables. Plus, when they already posted comments etc., you may have to remove those from other tables as well. Internally, Geeklog has a "delete user" function that takes care of all that.

bye, Dirk

s_witch

Forum User
Chatty
Quote by: Dirk

bye, Dirk

Whilst I understand that this issue has been addressed already, I am a little confused. I just upgraded from 1.4.1b2 to 1.4.1 today and the no checkboxes issue remains for me. How long before the fix will appear in the latest GL version? (You'll have to forgive my complete lack of knowledge about CVS and release cycles etc.)

Is it possible to have the fix for this spelt out here? As I said, I don't know much about CVS and don't like to muck about with something without knowing what I'm doing. Thanks in advance! :-)
Regards Jill

ishmot

Anonymous
Quote by: s_witch

Quote by: Dirk

bye, Dirk

Whilst I understand that this issue has been addressed already, I am a little confused. I just upgraded from 1.4.1b2 to 1.4.1 today and the no checkboxes issue remains for me. How long before the fix will appear in the latest GL version? (You'll have to forgive my complete lack of knowledge about CVS and release cycles etc.)

Is it possible to have the fix for this spelt out here? As I said, I don't know much about CVS and don't like to muck about with something without knowing what I'm doing. Thanks in advance! :-)

s_witch,

I'm in the same boat. I basically gave up trying to figure this one out. This is listed as a new feature in 1.4.1 but aparently it doesn't work as you and I think it should. I'm not quite sure how it works..... Hmmmmm.

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
I upgraded from 1.4.0 sr3 to 1.4.1 and the batch delete users worked fine for me (I had over a 1000 users to delete). I did a fresh file install and had to update my themes a fair bit, maybe your problem lies there?

On a side note one feature I would like to see here is the ability to filter out users that have contributed something. ie I want to delete users that haven't logged in in 6 months unless they have posted a comment, story, etc..
One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

s_witch

Forum User
Chatty
Excellent suggestion. I agree that it looks like a display problem. I will investigate further.

Sometimes it takes fresh eyes to point out the obvious. Thanks! Big Grin
Regards Jill

ishmot

Anonymous
Last night I installed 1.4.1 from sr1 and now everything (batch user delete, etc.) is working great for me.....

-----> jared

s_witch

Forum User
Chatty
That's fantastic for you. Big Grin

I've confirmed that it's not a display issue for me. The checkboxes are not being output in the display at all. Still investigating though.
Regards Jill

jmucchiello

Forum User
Are you sure you updated all the files for 1.4.1? I just copied the ADMIN_list function (in lib-admin.php) and the batchdelete function (from admin/user.php) from 1.4.1 to 1.4.1b2 and the batchdelete now does show the boxes so I'm guessing you didn't update one or both of those files when you upgraded.

s_witch

Forum User
Chatty
Actually I had already come to a similar conclusion and had overwritten the /public_html/admin/user.php file. I hadn't overwritten the /system/lib-admin.php file as you suggested (my mistake) and not surprisingly this solved the problem. So a very big thankyou - I appreciate the assistance! :shakehands: Big Grin

My next task is to go back and make sure all files have been overwritten properly. Rolling Eyes

Regards Jill

ishmot

Forum User
Junior
Quote by: jmucchiello

Are you sure you updated all the files for 1.4.1?

I'm pretty sure this is why my first upgrade did not work. Once I successfully had all of the files uploaded it worked fine after that.

---->jared

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:48 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content