Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, May 04 2024 @ 12:23 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Setting default Contribute functions for Topics

MartinR

Forum User
Hi
Users of my blog are generally not IT literate and don't even select the drop down to place a Story in the right topic.

So if a user enters a topic, can I force a Contribute function to contribute a story into that particular topic?

Each topic has a static page (e.g. at the top) but they don't even read/understand instructions there. Forcing entries into that topic would be preferred.

I can't find anything about this in the docs or config file.

Thanks

MartinR

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by MartinR: So if a user enters a topic, can I force a Contribute function to contribute a story into that particular topic?

It should actually already work that way - try it out here on geeklog.net.

If you have a theme that isn't using the {menu_elements} variable for the menu bar (including the "contribute" link), then you will have to make a small modification to your theme. I would have to look that up ...

bye, Dirk

MartinR

Forum User
Dirk
Thanks - I goofed. I realise now that a link to Contribute in a static page should reference the particular topic, e.g. where the topic is "Offers"...
Text Formatted Code
http://www.domain.com/submit.php?type=story&topic=Offers

I had previously just linked to the main Contribute function (/submit.php?type=story), which apart from the default topic for stories, meant users posting in the wrong place if meant for other topics.
Doh!
MartinR

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:23 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content