Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 06:11 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Gl2

Forum User
Not to beat a dead horse, but I need to upgrade my site....should I go ahead with 1.4 or is 2 close enough to wait for?

Also, with 2, will it be an easy upgrade from 1.x or will it be a completely new install meaning all the current blocks and plugins are no good anymore?

Last question...After 2 is Geeklog going to continue on or will it be petering out? I only ask because as noted in another post it seems to take a long time between upgrades and don't get me wrong...you guys are great and I appreciate ALL your hard work, but just don't want to stay committed to something that may not continue in a year or so. Another reason is because the original basic themes support have been dropped and only one theme is available. Why? It would be nice to have a choice of a couple themes. Will GL2 have more than 1?

I have used GL for at least 3 years now and am just concerned...I like it better than Postnuke and others, but from the lack of responses to support questions and problems in this forum, I am just concerned about it's future.

Again tho, thanks to Dirk, and ALL who work so hard and develop this software....

Blaine has some really nice things I would like to incorporate and stay with GL, thus my concerns...thanks for hearing me out....t

jmucchiello

Forum User
I don't work on GL but I've got to ask, how often do you want there to be updates? I like GL because it is basically stable. If there were updates every week I'd find a new package.

Themes: Right. No themes.

And I think Dirk responds to just about every question within 24 hours unless someone else has already posted a proper answer. Not responsive? Are you sure you are going to geeklog.NET? They don't own the .COM address.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Geeklog 2 is turning a bit into our equivalent of Duke Nukem Forever, so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

The first beta of Geeklog 1.4.1 should finally be out by next weekend, so I don't see anything petering out here. While I would certainly like to see more releases (I'd consider about 6 months between releases about right), the development has never been at a standstill in the time since 1.4.0 was released. We just don't post about it on the site all the time - check our mailing lists if you want to see what's going on development-wise.

bye, Dirk

ironmax

Anonymous
Quote by 13:
Last question...After 2 is Geeklog going to continue on or will it be petering out? I only ask because as noted in another post it seems to take a long time between upgrades and don't get me wrong...you guys are great and I appreciate ALL your hard work, but just don't want to stay committed to something that may not continue in a year or so. Another reason is because the original basic themes support have been dropped and only one theme is available. Why? It would be nice to have a choice of a couple themes. Will GL2 have more than 1?

If your looking for themes...take a look over at Geekdownloads and they should have almost every theme thats been made.

Anonymous
Quote by Dirk: Geeklog 2 is turning a bit into our equivalent of Duke Nukem Forever, so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

The first beta of Geeklog 1.4.1 should finally be out by next weekend, so I don't see anything petering out here. While I would certainly like to see more releases (I'd consider about 6 months between releases about right), the development has never been at a standstill in the time since 1.4.0 was released. We just don't post about it on the site all the time - check our mailing lists if you want to see what's going on development-wise.

bye, Dirk

chuckling...dukenukem..haven't played that in years...
thanks Dirk for the reaffirmation..i really do like geeklog..frustrating as it gets sometimes but that is more do to learning by trial and error than anything else...I am glad it will continue because Blaine has a couple of premium plugins I really would like to get and use with GL..

Thanks Ironmax..will check that out..t

Anonymous
Quote by jmucchiello: I don't work on GL but I've got to ask, how often do you want there to be updates? I like GL because it is basically stable. If there were updates every week I'd find a new package.

Themes: Right. No themes.

And I think Dirk responds to just about every question within 24 hours unless someone else has already posted a proper answer. Not responsive? Are you sure you are going to geeklog.NET? They don't own the .COM address.

yes quite positive..I am here now..

I had some probs restoring my site and searched and found a couple of the similar errors but no responses and they were a year or so old....and that is NOT a hit at Dirk...He goes above and beyond and always has for me and others....I was not complaining that they did not get answers...just wondering if that was any indication of something else, which Dirk reassured me below was not. I found the no themes the other nite..but wanted to ask about the future of them. I like it because it is stable too...and no I don't want more frequent upgrades.....I was kinda hoping for the opposite..that whatever the last one before GL2 comes out woud be secure and would be updated with security updates periodically even tho 2 will be out...because a lot of the blocks and plugins I need and use and a couple I want to purchase from Blaine won't work with 2..and hate to waste money and time and would prefer to stay with the last 1.x if it could remain relatively secure after 2 comes out....that was my reasons for asking...t

tmarquez

Forum User
Regular Poster
I've never tried an other real CMS, but I'm sticking with GeekLog because I've been very pleased with the documentation and the upgrades. And because of the forums here (dirk, blaine, and others) and said documentation, I've learned so much abotu php and mysql and I've been able to start doing a custom talent database to integrate into my geeklog site utilizing the core of geeklog (security, layout, etc).

It's is free CMS that has done good for me. I've donated to Blain before for his help, and just found where you can donate to geeklog this link: http://www.geeklog.net/faqman/index.php?op=view&t=49

Can't remember if I had a point, but support geeklog!
T.Marquez Jr. -
Webmaster -
www.indianapolisfilm.net - Geeklog 1.4.0sr5-1

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:11 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content