Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Sunday, September 01 2024 @ 12:05 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

how do spammers find Geeklog sites?

chjabu

Forum User
with all the recent discussion about comment and trackback spam and the Mistacronks users, I am curious as to how spammers locate Geeklog sites.

I oversee a small, quiet GL site used by only a few people and Mistacronks hasn't found it yet. I don't allow comments or trackbacks because there was some spam coming in and I don't spend enough time on the site to keep the spam cleaned out.

Now I'm also running a much more public site that I am trying to get out to a larger audience. SpamX does a great job of keeping things clean, but I can see that it is combatting spam all day long. Mistacronks found me and is adding new users all day long as well.

Is there some thing about the the index.php file that tips spammers off? Is it the word "geeklog"?

Chris.
basics4mac.com
basics4mac.com

DubiousChrisJ

Forum User
Regular Poster
Here's one way I found online...
Luhme summa dat GL.

chjabu

Forum User
That simple? Didn't there used to be Geeklog badges for the footer? I haven't seen them around in a long time
basics4mac.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
You can't easily search for those badges / buttons. The "powered by" is a giveaway, of course, but you could also search for certain URLs, script names, or pieces of the text on, say, the comment form that are typical for Geeklog. You would have to make considerable changes to Geeklog to really "hide" it. That's one of the downsides of search engines ...

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:05 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content