Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Monday, April 29 2024 @ 10:34 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

upgrade/blank page issue

bobotron

Forum User
I have a geeklog installation that was installed via Fantastico. (I know, not the best situation, but ...) Noticing that it was a bit out of date, I had Fantastico perform an upgrade. Everything seemed to go smoothly from that side of things, but when I tried to visit the site I found that it has problems.

I received a blank page upon visiting the site. I've already followed the error reporting instructions in the Blank Page suggestions and no luck.

I did purge my cookies and found that the page displayed fine for a non-logged in visitor. Tried to log in, blank page.

Purged again and visited, but this time created a new user. Got the password, logged in, and everything displayed fine for a new user.

So, non-logged in visitors and post-upgrade visitors are fine, but pre-upgrade existing users receive blank pages.

I checked the Apache error logs and did find that each time I get a blank page, the error log registers a "File does not exist error" for a 404.shtml that does not exist.

So it looks like Geeklog is trying to give logged-in users a page that it knows doesn't exist, sending them to a specified error page.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-bob

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
What happens when you try to call up a page that you know doesn't exist? Does it also give you a blank page and refers to that 404.shtml in the error_log?

Geeklog comes with its own 404 page, 404.php. Try to set your Apache up to use that page:
Text Formatted Code
ErrorDocument 404 /404.php

(assuming your site is in the root of your domain). That page should at least tell you which file it couldn't find.

bye, Dirk

bobotron

Forum User
Calling a page that doesn't exist doesn't serve up a page at all. I get the standard IE "The page cannot be found ..." not a blank page.

BUT!

I did some more messing around. Found out that a few pre-upgrade users were able to log in. As these users were not admins, I decided to try disabling the admin block through phpMyAdmin.

And I was able to log in.

So I guess the upgrade ran into trouble with something that I had installed. Possibly Bad Behavior. Or Chatterblock. Not sure. I know they're not Geeklog-brand, but does anybody have hints on removing these -- without the use of the admin block?

bobotron

Forum User
Never mind. It was a Bad Behavior issue. Got suspicious when the Statistics page gave a blank page to an otherwise-OK user. Disabled it via phpMyAdmin, and everything's good.

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:34 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content