Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, May 08 2024 @ 02:51 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

How hard is migration

JohnnyWormtown

Forum User
Junior
freakingout
my webhost sucks a certain part of a donkey's anatomy and I'm totally sick of it... I have new webspace lined up, because I know the current host is awful, but I thought that he was at least keeping up with security updates... and not allowing the server to be open to attacks which replace every index.php on the server. AARRRGGGGGGHH.

How hard is a migration? Someone link me to a good walk-through, please?

Will there be any issues taking the database from a site that was running 1.4.0b2 and importing into a new installation of whatever the latest version is? How about the forum, what's the latest version of that? Actually, the last time I tried to move servers, I couldn't get my forum posts to import correctly... the users were all there, but they were somehow not connected to the forum posts anymore... any tips on that one?

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

kingsley

Forum User
Junior
I actually just migrated a site and it wasn't really all that bad. The first thing I did however was to upgrade the old site to the latest software so that the 2 databases would be identical in structure. For me I used phpMyAdmin to export all the data from the old site and then imported it to the new. This actually went really well.

I would suggest setting up the new site and testing it before moving your domain. Then just before doing the official move re-export and re-import your data and remap the domain.

Of course doing a simple backup and restore of the DB would probably be the prefered solution but my host(s) had to be a middle man for that. With the phpMyAdmin solution I was in full control from begining to end.

-Eric

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Also see Migrating a Geeklog site

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:51 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content