Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 10:58 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Trackback Spam and SpamX Plugin

cbrantly

Anonymous
Sorry for the double-posting guys, but I accidentally posted this in the Feedback Forum first. I have been getting quite a bit of trackback spam lately. I tried adding the IP addresses recorded next to the spam entry by Geeklog to Spam-X's IP Blacklist and then doing a "Mass Delete Trackback Spam", but it doesn't work. I assume this is because the IP address recorded by Geeklog is not the actual IP. Can someone help me out with where to find the actual IP address and exactly where/how to enter it into the Spam-X plugin? I appreciate it.

-Chad

PS - I tried using Bad Behavior, but it was blocking too many legitimate users and we had to turn it off. Actually, turning it off didn't fix the problem...we had to completely delete it from the server. Too bad, because it did appear to block a lot of illegitimate requests.

eg0master

Forum User
Regular Poster
I suggest you read this.
Especially the part Checking for links. That has eliminated all trackback spam on my sites.

If that is not enough you might check this in order to update your blacklist.

I too have noticed that IP's does not seam to work when mass deleting comments. I guess this is only checked when the comment is posted and that the mass delete function only works on content.
Geeklog Plugins: http://plugincms.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
You may also want to try this: Experimental SLV module for Spam-X. It may end up as a standard module in the next release, so now would be a good time to give us some feedback ...

The problem with the IP address is a technical one: The IP module only checks against the current user's IP address. But when it's run as part of the Mass Delete modules, that would be your own IP address ...

This has been fixed in CVS and will also be present in the next Geeklog release.

In the meantime, you can feed your personal blacklist with keywords and URLs from the spam you're trying to get rid of and run Mass Delete again.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:58 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content