Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 06:58 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

geeklog.rss remains empty

John

Anonymous
I haven't altered the RSS section of config.php, and geeklog.rss is enabled in Content Syndication, but the file remains empty. My settings are Contents = all Stories and Header-link in topic = All. File permissions are set to 755. RSS connect attempts result in "can't open page, unknown error" and browsing to http://mydomain.com/backend/geeklog.rss produces a blank page.

Does geeklog.rss update as soon as a post is made, or is it on a timed cycle?
What am I missing?

Thanks.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Try 775 or 777, both for the file and the "backend" directory. You can "force refresh" the feed file by saving the feed again from the Content Syndication admin panel.

bye, Dirk

John

Anonymous
Thanks, that did it!

adunne

Anonymous
Hi Dirk -

I'm also curious about the timing of the RSS file. Without a forced update, at what interval will the RSS file be updated by Geeklog? I've noticed that it's not event driven (i.e., by adding a new story), so I'm guessing it's at some predetermined interval? If so, can that time setting be altered in one of the Geeklog PHP files?

Thx,

Alex

adunne

Forum User
Let me clarify my last post... I see now that the RSS feed is updated the moment a new story is added. However, if I change an existing story (e.g., change the title), the XML feed does not seem to get updated by Geeklog. (Although I haven't given it much of a chance - it just doesn't seem to be instantaneous.) So if you could let me know how Geeklog updates the RSS when a story is edited, and how I could edit that parameter to make it update more quickly, that would be great.

Thanks!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by adunne: However, if I change an existing story (e.g., change the title), the XML feed does not seem to get updated by Geeklog.

Which Geeklog version are we talking about? This used to be a bug, but has been fixed in 1.4.0.

bye, Dirk

adunne

Forum User
The site is running on 1.3.11.

Thx,

Alex

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by adunne: The site is running on 1.3.11.

That explains it then. You will have to do a "forced" upgrade (as explained above) then when you change a story. Or upgrade to 1.4.0.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:58 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content