Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 10:31 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

User Guide for Bad Behavior?

barrywong

Forum User
Regular Poster
Just installed Bad Behavior and totally impressed with it. Only thing is I am not sure what it all means.. Sad

I see a long list of log entries. clicked on each one and clicked on search. I see some messages but they don't really tell me if I am protected, and what I am protected from for that matter. Sorry, I don't understand spambots and the likes of them. Confused

So, I am wondering if I installed it properly because apart from this option, Admins Only doesn't have any other Admin control for Bad Behavior - at least on my site.

I would like to know...

1. Am I already protected from those listed on log entry?
2. Will this list keep growing, or will it automatically be removed after a week/month?
3. Can I add to a whitelist (where?) any IP I want BB to ignore?

Sorry for rambling on. I just want to know what my site is protected from and not assume that it is not protected simply because it BB is installed.

Thank you.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
The log entries are those of blocked requests. You'll see the reason why some request was blocked when clicking on the entry's number (when it lists the details), e.g. "Required header 'Accept' missing".

Bad Behavior blocks violations of the HTTP standard, faked user agents (no need to panic when you see it blocking Googlebot, for example - that usually means that it detected a fake bot), and a bunch of known spambots.

When you see the reason listed as "I know you and I don't like you, dirty spammer", then that's a repeat offender. Use the "search" link to find earlier requests from the same source, which will list the original cause why it was blocked.

Log entries are discarded after 4 weeks.

There's a whitelist file in the public bad_behavior directory. You'll have to edit it manually, though.

There isn't anything else to administer in Bad Behavior - the log entries are mostly for your entertainment ...

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:31 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content