Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, May 07 2024 @ 08:18 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

iframe in block?

n4th4n

Forum User
Chatty
I was asked to put an 'Associate Link' to Amazon in a block. Amazon associates are given 'specially crafted' links back to Amazon that are really just a little block of html as an iframe element (it starts with an iframe tag and ends with an iframe tag). It seems that this is not permitted due to a security hazard? I know that chatterblock uses the iframe tags, I haven't delved into the chatterblock code yet, what's the trick?

Blaine

Forum User
No trick for a basic requirement as your looking for. It's just html that can be added as a block.
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

n4th4n

Forum User
Chatty
Strange, it wasn't working at all before - but seems to be now. Perhaps it took a little while to get the service registered. Sorry for the bother.

n4th4n

Forum User
Chatty
I see the Amazon plugin, though Im not sure I understand what all it does. I also found the MTplugin (for Movable Type) - described on O'Reilly - which purports to do just what I wanted - an easy way to create amazon links formatted my own way, but of course it's not for geeklog...

Is there a hack/plugin for geeklog that anyone is using that would allow me to take the otherwise ugly standard amazon associate links, and create a simpler one with just an image - ala Wil Wheaton's typepad site? It seems like this would be a commonly requested thing, but I don't see too much activity on it in the forums.

It's clear I have to do some more investigation on the syntax of the Amazon links to understand all the variables.

[updated] You know, it seems too simple for a plugin - it's a simple link with the product number and the associate ID tacked at the end. You can host your own image or pull the image off Amazon. Fit't nicely in a geeklog block.

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:18 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content