Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, May 02 2024 @ 02:58 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Restoring old database

Trev

Anonymous
Hello,

My last webhosts disappeared on me. I'd taken a backup of my geeklog site which was running on 1.3.9sr2. I have now moved my hosting to a new provider and I have got geeklog installed to level 1.3.11sr2.

My question is this - how easy will it be to reinstall the content from the oldsite to the new install of geeklog. I am not that technical and was hoping it would simply be a case of dropping the tables in phpMyAdmiin and importing the gl_stories, gl_staticpages and the other various tables into the new database.

My initial tests indicate that this is not going to be the case. Anyone able to offer me help/suggestions?

vadertech

Forum User
Did you backup tables and data or just data?
GeekLog Hosting, Installations and Upgrades - WWW.AWEHOST.COM - Hosting starts @ only $4.95/mo.

Trev

Anonymous
I backed up tables and data, when I did test restores on my old system everything came back ok.

Paths etc are different this time - which could cause a problem?

vadertech

Forum User
Did you save a backup of your geeklog files or just the database?
GeekLog Hosting, Installations and Upgrades - WWW.AWEHOST.COM - Hosting starts @ only $4.95/mo.

Trev

Anonymous
I am not sure.

As far as I am aware I backed up the structure and data from within myPhpAdmin. I have some of the data downloaded via FTP if thats what you mean - like images used in stories etc.

vadertech

Forum User
if you saved the data and tables then you need to import the data and tables back into the database. Best thing to do is drop all the current tables you have. Then select the database and in the SQL tab select your database backup.

I would suggest backing up your current database (tables and data) just in case u need to restore it.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Also see Migrating a Geeklog site

bye, Dirk

Trev

Anonymous
Thanks for the help guys. Me and a mate between us managed to get the data back, we just got an issue with forums to battle with at a later date.

Trev
www.lostmusic.co.uk

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:58 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content