Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, May 02 2024 @ 10:35 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

can't figure out how to add right blocks to a static page.

jetshack

Forum User
Maybe I'm just missing something, this seems like it should be easy to do but I can't figure out how...

I've set my site up to run with only two columns by turning right blocks off but I'd like to be able to run with 3 columns on certain static pages.

Specifically my thinking is that I'm getting quite a bit of traffic from search engines going to specific static pages and I'd like to be able to display adsence on these specific pages to hopefully displace some of the bandwith charges..

I've got the right block created however in setting it up I'm only able to specify what categories I want the block to appear. I don't want it to display in any of the categories but just on the specfic static pages.

When I set the static page to display left and right blocks, the block doesn't appear...

To reword all of the above I'd like to have the block which is located on the right hand side of
this page to be displayed on a static page such as this page, but not the home page, or any of the other category pages...

jetshack

Forum User
I'm going to bump this once and hope....

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
This would certainly require some PHP code. Find out how Blaine implemented that "Forum Menu" block (here on the left column). There were a few additions to the plugin API in recent Geeklog releases to allow plugins to add their own blocks, but I've never really looked into them ...

bye, Dirk

machinari

Forum User
why not just incorporate the add into the staticpage itself? Just my two cents
Not a true 3rd column, but a 2nd column inside your staticpage area.

Obviosly this is not practical if you have 86 staticpages, but if you only have a few, a little time goes a long way.

samstone

Forum User
There is a work around, by tying the static page with a topic. The problem is it will show up in the Sections menu, but there is of course also a work around.

1) Create a topic
2) Create the staticpage with left and right blocks and make it center block of the topic
3) Create a block or blocks to show up with that topic.
4) Link to that static page using the topic url rather than the statipage url

- If you don't want this topic to show under the Sections block you have to disable the Sections block and create a normal block with the links to the topics that you want to show.

Talking about that, it will be a nice feature to ask that there would be an option for each topic to show or not to show in the section block.

Sam

drshakagee

Forum User
Wow that is a great solution Sam!
Yes I am mental.

beewee

Forum User
Nice solution, but not so search engine friendly.

Set the static page to 'left blocks only', make a 2 column table in the static page, the code for the right column should be copied from a page with right blocks, so the static page makes a fake right blok with Adsense.

Hope that you understand what I mean, and hope that it's possible with your layout.

Other option: make an extra column for banners or adsense in the footer, like www.watersporters.info and www.kampeerzaken.nl.
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

jetshack

Forum User
... make me look like a friggin' idiot?

I should have thought of that...

a 2nd column in the static page...

I'm off to practice my bowhunting skills.

beewee

Forum User
Well, as long as you don't hit your mother in law...... Razz
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

mach

Anonymous
...not that there is anything wrong with that.

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:35 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content