Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, May 29 2024 @ 09:31 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Newbie question - if anyone has the patience!

pookie13

Forum User
Hello - I am a complete newbie and have a very simple question (I think). How do you post images on stories?! I was told that you only need to upload the image and this doesn't seem to work for me.

I browsed for the image (which was only located on my desktop) and then tried to save the story. It wouldn't save because the image has to be in the intro or body of the story.

I then read the part about: "To add one of the images you are attaching to this article you need to insert specially formatted text. The specially formatted text is [imageX], [imageX_right] or [imageX_left] where X is the number of the image you have attached. NOTE: You must use the images you attach. If you do not you will be unable to save your story."

So I tried this. The story read like this:

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah .
[image20050911155303415_1.jpg_right]

and I received the error:
Attached Images Not Used
The following errors occured while trying to save your story. Please correct these errors before saving
image #1, 20050911155303415_1.jpg, was not used. You must include this image in the intro or body before you can save your changes

I feel pretty dumb, but WHAT am I doing wrong????

Thanks for your help! Can someone help me

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Simply use [image1] for the first image, [image2] for the second, etc.

Quite a lot of new users seem to make this mistake. Maybe it's time to re-phrase the instructions somewhat ...

bye, Dirk

pookie13

Forum User
Ok! That works! I thought I had tried that, but obviously I didn't. Now I guess I have a part 2 to the question. My original is very clear, but the version that shows up on the website is very grainy and almost not viewable - - - is a jpg the best format I can use or would it look better in some other format?

Thank you!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by pookie13: My original is very clear, but the version that shows up on the website is very grainy and almost not viewable

Did you let Geeklog resize the image? If so, try switching to some other graphics package to do the scaling (NetPBM, ImageMagick, gdlib - whatever you were not using). Or rescale the image on your PC before uploading it.

Generally speaking, JPGs are best for photos and the like, while GIF and PNG may be preferable for drawings and comics.

bye, Dirk

pookie13

Forum User
Ok - tried the PNG format, but it kept telling me the file was too big even though it was the same size as the jpg. So I tried the gif - it looked the same as the jpg did. It is a graphic image not a picture.

2 more questions - is there any way to make the picture LARGER on the story and can you add a picture (this one actually) to a static page?

Thanks very much for your prompt help! Very Happy

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
There are various config options for images, including the image size and the max. file size.

You can't upload images to static pages, but you can use all of HTML there, including the IMG tag.

bye, Dirk

me

Anonymous
Hello. I checked the search options regarding image resizing because my site jacksonvilles.com won't resize the images. The search results said this:
Set this to either 'imagemagick', 'netpbm', or 'gdlib' if images should be resized during upload. Leave as '' if you don't want images to be resized or if you don't have those packages available.
I don't know which "either" above to use and where to use it however I assume on the config. page. Please advise. thanks. Can someone help me

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by me: I don't know which "either" above to use and where to use it however I assume on the config. page. Please advise. thanks. Can someone help me

ImageMagick, NetPBM, and gdlib are three different packages for scaling images. If you don't know which ones are installed on your server, ask your hosting service.

And, yes, you'll have to edit your config.php to tell Geeklog which of these to use.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:31 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content