Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Monday, April 29 2024 @ 07:45 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Going horizontal - one column - any ideas?

ajzz

Forum User
Regular Poster
curious
Hello everyone,

I am trying to plan another geeklog site project which will spread over the next few months. This site would be sparse without too many topics initially. I was planning to modify the TabularDynamics or Clean theme to just have the relevant topics and options on horizontal bars. For now I have the following questions:

1. Although there is support for the two-column format, would something like a 1-column format be possible without messing with the core code?
  2. The login boxes would be on the top bar above the site logo (like the first toolbar on this site) with user functions showing there after login (somewhat like gmail account parameters). Do I need to worry about anything other than putting the right function calls in header.thtml possibly based on the core block? After that point, would it be possible to control the showing of that bar by adjusting the login-block options?
  3. I would like to do the same for the topics menu (or use the Menu plugin) appearing as a bar below the site logo with the possibility (if using the menu plugin) of a topic based sub-bar. I guess the topics part requires playing with the topicoption.thtml (see this thread)? How about that sub-bar?
  4. Does anyone have a theme that already does this?
  5. Any smarter way about this? (Details pls)

Cheers!

Ajay

mach

Anonymous
this is all possible without touching the core. you just need to modify the typical 2 or 3 column design into a 1 column (the outermost table wouldn't even be necessary) design having, what would normally be for example, a left column appear as a top row within that column. The only concern would be to ensure that the typically vertical lists would appear horizontal--not a problem for CSS.
Text Formatted Code

<!-- begin header.thtml -->
<body>
<table>
  <tr>
    <td>{properly formatted left blocks}</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>{header logo etc}</td>
  </tr>

<tr>
    <td>
<!-- end header.thtml -->
    {main content}
<!-- begin footer.thtml -->
    </td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>{properly formatted right blocks}</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>{footer}</td>
  </tr>
</table>
</body>
<!-- end footer.thtml -->

something like that

mach

Anonymous
Text Formatted Code
<!-- begin header.thtml -->
<body>
<table>
  <tr>
    <td>{login block called separately from left blocks}</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>{header logo etc}</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>{properly formatted left blocks}</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>
<!-- end header.thtml -->

ronack

Forum User
Also the PDA theme is sort of a one column format. You might be able to modify it for what you want.

ajzz

Forum User
Regular Poster
Thanks mach and ronack - that certainly sounds less coding-intensive than I expected. Will keep this thread posted as progress is made.

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:45 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content