Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Monday, April 29 2024 @ 01:21 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

RSS Feed for homepage

Pillguy

Anonymous
My RSS feed is not working for some reason. This is not a portal block, but the feed for my site. I am using the 2.0 format, but all I get is an old feed post (that I have since deleted). None of my feed posts are showing up in the rss file. Permissions are 777 on backend and .rss file. Any special formatting options I should know about that could be messing this up?

What are all the files that configure the feed?

Thanks

www.pharmit.us

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Make sure the directoy the feed files are in ("backend", by default) is also writable. The save the feed again (from "Content Syndication") to update them.

bye, Dirk

deek

Forum User
Junior
When I try and create new feeds it shows up on the created feeds list in the content syndication menu but does not create the file in the /path/to/geeklog/public_html/ directory and therefore can not be read because it doesnt exist. When I go into the error.log i get the following
Text Formatted Code
Tue Nov 15 14:51:07 2005 - Could not open the file. /home/tupper/public_html/osos.rdf
Tue Nov 15 14:56:26 2005 - Could not open the file. /home/tupper/public_html/osos.rdf
Tue Nov 15 14:57:32 2005 - Could not open the file. /home/tupper/public_html/osos.rdf
Tue Nov 15 15:00:31 2005 - Could not open the file. /home/tupper/public_html/osos.rdf
Tue Nov 15 15:01:18 2005 - Could not open the file. /home/tupper/public_html/osos.rdf
Tue Nov 15 15:09:03 2005 - Could not open the file. /home/tupper/public_html/ososfeed.rdf
Tue Nov 15 15:09:33 2005 - Could not open the file. /home/tupper/public_html/ososfeed.rdf
Tue Nov 15 15:10:38 2005 - Could not open the file. /home/tupper/public_html/ososfeed.rdf
Tue Nov 15 15:16:39 2005 - Could not open the file. /home/tupper/public_html/osos.rdf
Tue Nov 15 15:17:21 2005 - Could not open the file. /home/tupper/public_html/osos.rdf
Tue Nov 15 15:22:38 2005 - Could not open the file. /home/tupper/public_html/rss.rdf

Why arn't these files being created when I create the feed? (BTW I changed the default directory from /path/to/geeklog/public_html/backend to /path/to/geeklog/public_html/)

Any suggestions would be great thanks.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Make sure the webserver has write permissions for public_html (although from a security point of view, that sounds like a bad idea - I'd put the feeds in a subdirectory).

bye, Dirk

deek

Forum User
Junior
That works but I want to make it so that when you goto http://www.othersideofspecial.com there is the little live bookmark icon in the firefox address bar. it doesnt seem to do that for my site like it does this one

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
The location of the files has nothing to do with whether they show up as an icon in Firefox.

Add this to your header.thtml (one for each feed file and with your feed's URL, of course):
Text Formatted Code
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" href="http://www.geeklog.net/backend/geeklog.rdf" title="RSS feed">

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:21 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content