Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, May 08 2024 @ 06:56 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Parse error: parse error, unexpected '>' in /home/content/m/i/d/midnig2/html/lib-common.php(973)

=MF=Hack

Forum User
Junior
Starting receiving this error message today:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected '>' in /home/content/m/i/d/midnig2/html/lib-common.php(973) : eval()'d code on line 470

The site has been up and running for months. As far as I can tell no deliberate changes were made to any files.

Some content can be viewed under the error message (stories and a couple of rss blocks). All other blocks, headers, footers, graphics, etc. are missing.

Patrick

Anonymous
This evening I saw exact the same thing. This is an old geeklog-1.3.8 install where I used the webfeeds for quick access to news. It was shielded to only accept my personal static ip address. My hosting company appareantly put back a backup which did not have the restriction and now I have the same error. Maybe some scriptkiddies are at it again? It was time for me to upgrade anyway. Hope your damage is limited.

=MF=Hack

Forum User
Junior
My webhost is GoDaddy....any connection?

puzzled

Forum User
Nope, I use a dutch hosting company. Strange thing is that I just upgraded to 1.3.11sr1 and it just happened again. Time for some more investigation...

puzzled

Forum User
Quote by puzzled: Nope, I use a dutch hosting company. Strange thing is that I just upgraded to 1.3.11sr1 and it just happened again. Time for some more investigation...

Here is the exact error message:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected '>' in /<my site>/HTML/portal/lib-common.php(973) : eval()'d code on line 99
Any clues greatly appreciated.

puzzled

Forum User
Quote by =MF=Hack: Starting receiving this error message today:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected '>' in /home/content/m/i/d/midnig2/html/lib-common.php(973) : eval()'d code on line 470

The site has been up and running for months. As far as I can tell no deliberate changes were made to any files.

Some content can be viewed under the error message (stories and a couple of rss blocks). All other blocks, headers, footers, graphics, etc. are missing.

Ok I found a way to reproduce it. Clean install of 1.3.11sr1. Change passwords, yada yada. Then I add an RSS feed in a left block with order 35, block type "Portal block" and add the RSS url. When I press save, the error happens immediately. If I disable the RSS feed or remove it entirely from the database with phpmyadmin then the error is gone. The php version used at my hosting provider is 4.3.11.

=MF=Hack

Forum User
Junior
Quote by puzzled:Ok I found a way to reproduce it. Clean install of 1.3.11sr1. Change passwords, yada yada. Then I add an RSS feed in a left block with order 35, block type "Portal block" and add the RSS url. When I press save, the error happens immediately. If I disable the RSS feed or remove it entirely from the database with phpmyadmin then the error is gone. The php version used at my hosting provider is 4.3.11.

That was it for me too. I went in to block.php and began disabling the different RSS feed blocks until I hit the right one. For me it was Left Block 130 / SlashDot Feed. When I disable it my website is back to normal. When I enable it, I get the error message.

What a relief. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

puzzled

Forum User
Quote by =MF=Hack:
Quote by puzzled:Ok I found a way to reproduce it. Clean install of 1.3.11sr1. Change passwords, yada yada. Then I add an RSS feed in a left block with order 35, block type "Portal block" and add the RSS url. When I press save, the error happens immediately. If I disable the RSS feed or remove it entirely from the database with phpmyadmin then the error is gone. The php version used at my hosting provider is 4.3.11.

That was it for me too. I went in to block.php and began disabling the different RSS feed blocks until I hit the right one. For me it was Left Block 130 / SlashDot Feed. When I disable it my website is back to normal. When I enable it, I get the error message.

What a relief. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Glad you found it although I could have saved you some time in the first place by pointing out in my post that I was trying to add a Slashdot RSS feed block...

FYI: I played around a bit more and I could successfully add a Slashdot RSS feed block on the right side. Since I have no clue about Geeklog code I have no idea why the left side causes havoc and the right side works fine. What could be possible is that Slashdot did something with their RSS feed that caused this and fixed it in the mean time so suddenly it worked on the right side. I am going to move it to the left side again and if I still get this error then I guess the RSS parsing code needs some TLC.

=MF=Hack

Forum User
Junior
I just re-enabled the SlashDot RSS feed, without changing its original location, and it is working fine. I would venture to say that you could move yours back to the left side without any problem.

What a frustrating day yesterday was.....

puzzled

Forum User
Quote by =MF=Hack: I just re-enabled the SlashDot RSS feed, without changing its original location, and it is working fine. I would venture to say that you could move yours back to the left side without any problem.

What a frustrating day yesterday was.....

Couldn't agree more. I put back the /. RSS feed on the left side and all was working well. Sigh... At least I got to upgrade to 1.3.11sr1 but still need to integrate the template I was using. Such is life Smile

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:56 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content