Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, March 19 2024 @ 03:32 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

SMF Forums

Page navigation

MetalHellsAngel

Forum User
caffeinated
Hello First Off I would Like to say that Geeklog looks like a great portal. I have a question however. Can SMF forums be integrated with geeklog? Thanks so much,

Angel

Benta

Forum User
Regular Poster
Quote by MetalHellsAngel: Hello First Off I would Like to say that Geeklog looks like a great portal. I have a question however. Can SMF forums be integrated with geeklog? Thanks so much,

Angel

Maybe someone made a bridge, but you really don't need to, becasue the Geeklog forum has pretty much all that SMF has.

SMF has some nice layouts/templates/themes to choose from, but if some time is spent on it, you can make nice themes for Geeklog as well.

SmackDaddy

Forum User
Chatty
Benta, I beg to differ as for saying the geeklog forums offer pretty much what SMF offers. Not true. Having used both, it's more factual to say the geeklog forums offer the basics most other forums use/have and is all you will need for a basic forum....but the SMF forums are so much more robust!

MetalHellsAngel, if you (or anyone else) finds someone who has created a bridge or who's successfully integrated SMF, please, please, PLEASE let me know!!! SMF, as far as free forums go, is hands down, the BEST package available.

Just my two cents

trenchteam

Forum User
Regular Poster
SMF is a complete forum software. GEEKLOG is a CMS/Portal first. They are hardly the same. Im a SMF user, and Ive always loved GEEKLOG. IF you can somehow bridge the two, Im a GEEKLOGGER for life! Its a deal - shaking hands

SmackDaddy

Forum User
Chatty
Quote by trenchteam: SMF is a complete forum software. GEEKLOG is a CMS/Portal first. They are hardly the same. Im a SMF user, and Ive always loved GEEKLOG. IF you can somehow bridge the two, Im a GEEKLOGGER for life! Its a deal - shaking hands

Please read the post correctly...no one is comparing the two and we know they aren't the same (i.e we KNOW they are different)...the comparison was with the addon/plugin of the forums (hence the "Geeklog forums")...and that's where the comparison is...which is why some would like to see or hope to see a bridge or addon for SMF....(I wish I was a coder, but I am not or else I'd try and tackle it myself....)

Turias

Forum User
I've considered writing an SMF-Geeklog integration. However, their license makes me nervous. If SMF was released under the GPL, I would be much more inclined to do it.

trenchteam

Forum User
Regular Poster
Please read the post correctly...no one is comparing the two and we know they aren't the same (i.e we KNOW they are different)...the comparison was with the addon/plugin of the forums (hence the "Geeklog forums")...and that's where the comparison is...which is why some would like to see or hope to see a bridge or addon for SMF....(I wish I was a coder, but I am not or else I'd try and tackle it myself....)

Someone posted that Geeklog can provide everything SMF could. I was simply pointing out that they are totally different. They dont have what each can offer.

I've considered writing an SMF-Geeklog integration. However, their license makes me nervous. If SMF was released under the GPL, I would be much more inclined to do it.

Turias, [Unknown] hates ports. At least from what I read in all his posts to others interested in integration. A bridge would be the best bet. Something that would not require the redistribution of SMF files to make it work. Ortiso's bridge for Mambo is a perfect example of the preferred method of integration. I dont care for Mambo though. I've used Geeklog, and its the absolute best. Cool

Turias

Forum User
Turias, [Unknown] hates ports. At least from what I read in all his posts to others interested in integration. A bridge would be the best bet. Something that would not require the redistribution of SMF files to make it work. Ortiso's bridge for Mambo is a perfect example of the preferred method of integration. I dont care for Mambo though. I've used Geeklog, and its the absolute best. Cool

That's the thing. I had to make so many changes to core phpBB files in the phpBBBridge, that I think something similar is going to be necessary for SMF. A patch just doesn't work in those situations. You really need to ship the entire forum.

SmackDaddy

Forum User
Chatty
Quote by trenchteam: Someone posted that Geeklog can provide everything SMF could. I was simply pointing out that they are totally different. They dont have what each can offer.

No, as I said, re-read ... no one was saying GEEKLOG alone could provide everything SMF could, Benta said:

becasue the Geeklog forum has pretty much all that SMF has.

Keyword "FORUM".... Read the FAQ

trenchteam

Forum User
Regular Poster
gah! I just want to see a integration if possible! Confused Cool

SmackDaddy

Forum User
Chatty
Quote by trenchteam: gah! I just want to see a integration if possible! Confused Cool

Agreed!!! Its a deal - shaking hands

trenchteam

Forum User
Regular Poster
Turias I saw your issues on SMF with the coding, specifically the db_query and db_error. I'll be following yuor thread closely. It usually takes a few days for them to respond.

Thanks for making the attempt and effort! Just wanted to mention that you ROCK Chest-Slam Celebration

Turias

Forum User
I've heard so much about SMF that I decided to give it a try. It's quite nice! I'm looking into how much work it would take to integrate it, but considering one person already tried and said it was too difficult, don't get too excited quite yet. Very Happy

SmackDaddy

Forum User
Chatty
Quote by Turias: I've heard so much about SMF that I decided to give it a try. It's quite nice! I'm looking into how much work it would take to integrate it, but considering one person already tried and said it was too difficult, don't get too excited quite yet. Very Happy

I think many of us are excited that someone is even trying!!!! Big Celebration

SmackDaddy

Forum User
Chatty
Anyone make any progress on a bridge yet? I'd PAY for a bridge....SMF forums rock! (I know I am sounding desperate, but I prefer them over phpbb or the geeklog forums offered).... Big Celebration

ScurvyDawg

Forum User
Quote by trenchteam: SMF is a complete forum software. GEEKLOG is a CMS/Portal first. They are hardly the same. Im a SMF user, and Ive always loved GEEKLOG. IF you can somehow bridge the two, Im a GEEKLOGGER for life! Its a deal - shaking hands

I go to your site and I see WordPress GL is nowhere to be found???

SmackDaddy

Forum User
Chatty
Quote by ScurvyDawg:

I go to your site and I see WordPress GL is nowhere to be found???

Barring punctuation errors, I think he was saying as SOON as there is a bridge for SMF, he will BE a geeklogger for life...that's how *I* read it at least...

trenchteam

Forum User
Regular Poster
ah ha! So you looked me up. My SMF site is http://www.shoyoroll.com

I use WP for my Blog since its really all I need. Something simple. But for shoyoroll I really need a complete CMS and I really love geeklog. My forum is very active and their choice of software is SMF. We started with phpbb, but we scrapped that since SMF went to RC1 back in the day. Very Happy

Never turned back. Again, my SMF site is http://www.shoyoroll.com

Trupaz

Anonymous
what about making the GL forum have more features ( on off ) so that at least in features it is comparable to SMF forum ?

BTW, I have tried my hands at all ..... all seem to have their own pros and cons. From the end user end GL forum is just missing :

Read the FAQ

quick new post and quick new reply
online indicator by name of posters
(free ) add buddy and ignore
( free ) pm

ayl

Anonymous
has anybody went over to the guy who makes the plug in for Geeklog and asked his is he is making stuff that smf has?

I think that is the best solution.

As for Mambo and its bridge, I have to say that I chose Mambo because it had the bridge to SMF as well as other items.

For me, geeklog is a better tool when you want to have one solution instead of 3 or 4 different ones talking to each other. But if you want more power, then you will have to merge solutions together.

Currently, I am trying to merge these:
Mambo
Noah Classifieds
SiteBar
SMF
phpCollab
Coppermine
Plog

Basically, all I want is the same users for all and a cookie that allows people to not have to keep signing in as they browse the site. Using php includes on dynamic pages and static pages, I am hoping to create some cool abilities for users.

Its still a butt-load of systems trying to work together and if one goes, other can to and the next thing you know, no site, no database, no users

LOL

Anyway, if you want a free all in one solution, Geeklog seems to be the best (but Mambo is close behind).

I would love to see a geeklog and plog bridge. Content management, users getting blogs, and a forum? Hot stuff.

Page navigation

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:32 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content