Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, April 20 2024 @ 02:17 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Change email address where registrations are sent

GAKGriper

Anonymous
blank
Hello Geekloggers!

I hope everybody is having a better day than mine! I have successfully installed and now running Geeklog. However, I can't seem to change the email address where registeration link and password is sent from. I stupididly put in my personal email which I don't want to be public. I changed the email for lets say webmaster but still the emails are going out of my private(very) private email account.

Would somebody please help me out? My hosting folks suggested to reinstall the program which means to loose every thing I have done already on my geeklog site. Is there a way for me to back my work up now, delete the program and reinstall and then re-load the back up?

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Gak

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Geeklog uses $_CONF['site_mail'] (from config.php) here. If it still appears to use the old address, then you may not have uploaded the config.php to the correct directory. Do other changes in config.php (e.g. the site's name) appear on the site?

bye, Dirk

GAKgriper

Anonymous
Dirk,
thank you for your response!

By site name, do you mean in the browser - Header (top of the browser page above the www.mywebsite.com) - Yes it has my web address on it. The thing is, I only provided the email address once during installation. Under admin, isn't their a place where I could go and change my email address that send out the email to regiserants?

Also, how does one edit php files such as php.index - because want to change the title of my site. On html.index it is fairly easy to edit.

The site title was also provided at the same time as the email address, so it might be the same issue. Any thoughts on the backup and reinstalling?

Thank you

Sincerely

Gak

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Sounds like you've been using an automated install (e.g. Fantastico).

Most of Geeklog's configuration information is stored in a file called config.php. Since the information therein is rarely changed, there is no web interface for it. So you'll have to edit that file using a text editor.

You'll find your email address in there (see my above post) as well as the site's name and slogan. After you change that information, upload the file again and Geeklog will pick up the changes. No need for a reinstall.

bye, Dirk

Gakgriper

Anonymous
cheerful
Dirk,

Thank you so much for your help. It all works beautifully! While you have been so generous with your suggestion, I thought I throw out couple more questions, in case you are feeling generous and have some time.

The most important, how can I change the name of the geeklog folder. For eg. currently it looks like this www.gakgripes.com/geeklog/public. If I rename GEEKLOG folder it all goes bonkers! any suggestions?

How do I make menu items appear or disapper as needed, for eg. Site Statistics, Web resources etc.

My old story block is enabled yet it doesn't show

Again, Dirk, thank you very much for your help.

Gak

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Gakgriper: The most important, how can I change the name of the geeklog folder. For eg. currently it looks like this www.gakgripes.com/geeklog/public. If I rename GEEKLOG folder it all goes bonkers! any suggestions?

You have to adjust all the paths in config.php and the one in lib-common.php accordingly.

Quote by Gakgriper: How do I make menu items appear or disapper as needed, for eg. Site Statistics, Web resources etc.

That's an FAQ: How do I change the menu?

Quote by Gakgriper: My old story block is enabled yet it doesn't show

Once you have more stories than would fit on the front page, it will appear automatically.

bye, Dirk

Gakgriper

Anonymous
Mr. Dirk, you are savior - Thanks a lot!

gakgipes

Anonymous
Okay, thanks for all the help! Everything works. how do I put link into my blocks?

it doesn't except html? any thoughts?

Thanks

Gak

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by gakgipes: how do I put link into my blocks?

it doesn't except html?

Of course it does. In a "normal" block, you can use all HTML - it's not even filtered there.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:17 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content