Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, March 19 2024 @ 01:30 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Need another new block

n00b

Anonymous
angelic
Hi,

I'm sure this is not being asked for the first time, but so far I couldnt find anything related... will appreciate any help/link/pointer...

What is wanted:
Default GL installation gives one "Topics" block, we want to have another 2 or 3 on the left side... one below another.. I have read so far about lib-custom.php and lib-common.php related tips, but no success so far...

At the end of the day, we would like to gather together different resources under different blocks...

[public]
---
---
---
[private]
---
---
---
[R-n-D]
---
---
---
[Services]
---
---
---

Thanx in advance!

knuff

Forum User
What are the different block types for?
About the Topics block
Vanrillaer.com - our Family Portal

n00b

Anonymous
blah

Hi,

Thanx, for the links, I've already read them... But, still of no use...
I am able to create normal blocks, where i can put some html/plain text and everything is cool (like the "About")...
But, its not what I want... I want another block with topics, so that when I publish news/articles I can just select the appropriate block and topic - and violla, everything is OK... Thats what I want... So far, I am on the same place Sad

As an example I can give you a link: www.meniki.com (two blocks, top-left)

Thanx!

drshakagee

Forum User
Not sure what you want to do but on that site it just looks like they are html blocks, with links to the different topics. If they aren't they can be without much work.
Yes I am mental.

machinari

Forum User
maybe you want the 'menu' plugin? try the dl page or tomW's pigstye... I think

bcbrock

Forum User
Chatty
Quote by machinari: maybe you want the 'menu' plugin? try the dl page or tomW's pigstye... I think

I'd suggest the same thing. You don't wind up with separate blocks, but you do have total control over the layout of all the links in your menu block, which allows you to group your topics in any order you want. You can also set permissions for each link, so you can effectively keep public and private links that will load dynamically for each user. I use it on my site (http://helpdesk.muscatine.k12.ia.us) - have a look to see if it will work for you.

Tom's pigstye site is here.
~Brian

knuff

Forum User
Fully agree with machinari and bcbrook to check out the menu plugin.

That´s why I referred to About the Topics block as it is suggested as a good alternative Mr. Green . Guess I should have been more explicit.

Vanrillaer.com - our Family Portal

n00b

Anonymous
curious
Quote by drshakagee: Not sure what you want to do but on that site it just looks like they are html blocks, with links to the different topics. If they aren't they can be without much work.

Menu plugin is OK, configured, and its working fine...
But, I thought that if I can create blocks it would look maybe better... I am not sure, how that guy did it on meniki.com, but it looks like its not just a normal block with html links... Maybe, I just waiting for a reply from the webmaster...

Thanx!

n00b

Anonymous
curious
Quote by bcbrock:
Quote by machinari: maybe you want the 'menu' plugin? try the dl page or tomW's pigstye... I think

Tom's pigstye site is here.

How can I do some little changes on that plugin? for example, can I use some image of another character to represent availability of sub-menus?

-- Farm
-- Dogs
-- Horse
-- Donkeys

would look like:

-- Farm -+ (instead of small >> ) characters...

Rgds.

jbpaul17

Forum User
Chatty
If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you want multiple blocks that link to different sorts of Topics. If that's true, then this is what I would recommend:

Create as many "Normal Block" block types as you have different block sections (Public, Private, R-n-D, Services, etc.) and include the HTML code to each sections topics in the "Block Content" section.

Example:
Block Title: R-n-D
Block Name: R-n-D
Side: Left
Block Type: Normal Block
Block Content:
Text Formatted Code
<A HREF="/index.php?topic=ResearchTopic1">Research Topic 1</A><BR>
<A HREF="/index.php?topic=ResearchTopic2">Research Topic 2</A><BR>
<A HREF="/index.php?topic=ResearchTopic3">Research Topic 3</A>

Then just repeat the above block for the different sections and only include the different topics that you want included.

n00b

Anonymous
happy
Thanx jbpaul17!

I followed your logic and got what I wanted!

First I created topics, they were added into default "Topics" block.
Later I've created "Blocks"
and put the URL for the topics as you suggested.

Last, I disabled the default "Topics" block, and here we go!

Thanx all!

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:30 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content