Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, May 08 2024 @ 08:16 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Another Google Adsense question

Sonnyb

Forum User
Junior
Hello All,
Is it possible to have more than one adsense ad displayed at a time? I added google code to a normal right block, no problem ads displayed. When I add one to the static centerblock I have on my homepage, the right block disappears. When I deleted the static block code, the right block appears again. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sonny
http://www.bertoncini.net/blog

k74

Forum User
I have a few adsense adds appearing on my website. I found that sometimes they are not filled, which I can only assume is from the Google end, as other times they are all there. I also found that I had to vary the size of the blocks and not having two the same eg allocated to two static pages or blocks on the same side.

You can have a look at my site to see the ads in place.

Regards

Kev Very Happy
Live everyday as if it was your last!

beewee

Forum User
I think that your blog is not very well indexed by Google. Adsense can only put the right ads on your site when your site is indexed by Google.

Your site http://www.bertoncini.net is indexed, so the fastest way to be spotted by Google is to put a link from http://www.bertoncini.net/ to your blog pages and ask for some friends to put links on their site to your blog.

The trick you used by putting some of the Adsense javascript in the header also might cause some trouble since that is only for 728x90 px!

BTW Adsense for blogs about common things or politics doesn't work very well mostly, since it's hard to get real targetted ads.

To make your site easier to index it's important to think like a search eingine, they start looking at the left top. So put some relevant text with relevant keywords in the header of your site, or in a left block, and adapt the site titel and slogan if you like.

You might think of applying for some kind of affiliates program like Adbrite and put some of their banners on your site (about digital photo printing, cartridges, whatever you think your visitors might be interested in) instead of Adsense.
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

Sonnyb

Forum User
Junior
Thanks for the reply,

The static index page at / was a fast job I threw together a few years ago. I think I need to adjust the keywords there so it spiders better. It does have a link to the blog in the dhtml menu, but that probably gives the google spider indigestion. I did see a hit from the adsense spider just yesterday, since I signed up with the /blog site I assume that's what it spidered. I suppose I need to hack the header.thtml file to add metadata for keywords or is there an easier way? I hope that gets included in the GL2 realease.

Also is there a template someplace I can hack to force the rest of the adsense code into every article no matter who writes it? Right now I have to manually add the script call to the bottom of a article to get a banner.

I think I'm going to get rid of the adsense right block and find another affiliate program. There are some that focus on political blogs that I've seen on other similar blog sites. All this is just a means of learning a CMS for other projects so I can mess up my site rather than one I'm being paid to create. Smile

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:16 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content