Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, May 08 2024 @ 04:07 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

I need some advise on installation

nigelall

Forum User
confused
I am a new to this forum.

I love the geeklog format and will love to install it on my web host, but i have some small questions. 1. do i have to know html. 2. Do I have to know Unix. 3. If not is there a VERY simple way I can install on my web host? I checked and they have PHP and MySol. I would like to use the gooklog to run a Mac users site and to also install the wiki, basically like www.macosxhints.com & leoville.com or similar to yourmaclife.com.

Thanks

Guys
praying it will work

beewee

Forum User
1) No, you do not need to know HTML, but knowing a bit HTML is needed if you want to customise a theme.

2) No, you don't

3) If you know how to: use a FTP program, make a MySQL database (easy if your host offers cPanel/Plesk/DirectAdmin etc) and can read the docs, it's quite easy.
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

nigelall

Forum User
Thanks so far,

But

3) If you know how to: use a FTP program, make a MySQL database (easy if your host offers cPanel/Plesk/DirectAdmin etc) and can read the docs, it's quite easy.

I can ftp (yes), but I have never make a MySol database, and yes my host offers cPanel, so I can do it do you know of a VERY simple guide I can use to setup this??

Thanks again

Nigel

1000ideen

Forum User
cpanel offers a good help documentation. See left menu on the bottom.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by nigelall: I can ftp (yes), but I have never make a MySol database

Actually, all you have to do is create an empty MySQL database and Geeklog's install script will do the rest.

bye, Dirk

1000ideen

Forum User
I think the way is:

In the field DB: _________ you simply name the DB e.g. geeklog.

Click "add user to DB" which adds your given user name (mostly your log in name e.g. wwwyou) to the database to be made.

The result is that you receive a MySQL database which in most cases is called www_geeklog with user wwwyou.

The box privileges must be ticked on ALL. I can`t tell you where the password for the MySQL is. Maybe someone else does?

nigelall

Anonymous
Guys , I tried something here's what.
1. I used Transmit and upload all the file in the public_html folder to my www
2. I created the database in MySql on the host cPanel.
3. I uploaded the other files outside the public_html to www (kind of outside) or should I have copy them to "/" directory.
4. I am some what confuse on the instructions to edit the config.php and the lib-common.php files I will need some help here the manual is no help with this one....
5. I am getting this at the moment

Warning: main(/path/to/geeklog/config.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/nigel/www/www/lib-common.php on line 69

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required '/path/to/geeklog/config.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/nigel/www/www/lib-common.php on line 69

1000ideen

Forum User

It`s in the install.html http://www.geeklog.net/docs/install.html#installprob

You got to write the path into the config.php

Can you copy the other files outside the public_html to the directory above public_html ? Sometimes there is

root/
root/public_html
root/files/
root/www

In my case www is just a copy of public_html and would be the wrong directory. I can`t put them into root either so I had to put them under root/files/geeklogfiles/

When you call the www.mydomain/admin/install/install.php you can see the abolut path.

THEMike

Forum User
Quote by nigelall: Guys , I tried something here's what.
4. I am some what confuse on the instructions to edit the config.php and the lib-common.php files I will need some help here the manual is no help with this one....
5. I am getting this at the moment

Warning: main(/path/to/geeklog/config.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/nigel/www/www/lib-common.php on line 69

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required '/path/to/geeklog/config.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/nigel/www/www/lib-common.php on line 69

You need to edit the file /home/nigel/www/www/lib-common.php, this file contains a line near the top that specifies the location of config.php. This is line 76 according to the install documents linked by 1000ideen. The line will say:

Text Formatted Code

require_once('/path/to/geeklog/config.php');

This should be changed to:
Text Formatted Code

require_once('/home/nigel/www/config.php');

If I follow what you have done correctly. Then you must edit config.php to enter your database connection details, and the path to various parts of your installation.

Now, given what you have said I think what you have done is:

Text Formatted Code

/home/nigel/www/
-- config.php
-- system
-- plugins
(etc)

and:

Text Formatted Code

/home/nigel/www/www/
--lib-common.php
--index.php
--admin/
(etc)

Now, this would be correct if your web site is delivered from:
/home/nigel/www/www/

i.e. if I put a file called index.html containing "Hello World" as:
/home/nigel/www/www/index.html

And then visit your web site document root (http://www.yourdomain.com/) Then I will see hello world.

If however, your web site is served from
/home/nigel/www/

Then it is not correct.

Nigelall

Anonymous
happy
Thanks alot guys for all the help, I got geeklog installed and so far I am checking the geeklog site to see how I can edit the theme to include my logo etc.....if any one knows of a software that I can use I will be even more happy.

Thanks

-Nigel

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:07 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content