Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 16 2024 @ 06:46 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Writing custom external pages, want to use GL User name but not sure how.

zewt

Forum User
Junior
confused
I am writing some of my own custom external pages and want to include/pass the user ID/name from GL.

But I cannot figure out what file to INCLUDE and/or what vraiables to use as well.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help on this. Very Happy

zewt

Forum User
Junior
I figured it out.

suprsidr

Forum User
I'm trying the same thing - I created a custom "Daily Astronomy" block, which displays nasa's daily picture of our cosmos.
Inspired by Blaine's daily dilbert. It's available on my site.

I use an external page to display the fullsize image astronomy.php, I include lib-common and use COM_siteHeader and footer. But I appear to be logged out on that page, none of my member menu items show up.
I was under the impression, that the only thing I needed to include was lib-common.
So what was your solution zewt?
FlashYourWeb and Your Gallery with the E2 XML Media Player for Gallery2 - http://www.flashyourweb.com

zewt

Forum User
Junior
It does not sound like your problem is similiar to mine.

My site is heavy in external pages to my own PHP codework.

I have members registering on the GL site that I wanted to give access to a tool. But I also did not want unknown users being able to use the tool.

I created code to validate the user info in GL against my other database. If the user is not in my 2nd database they could not use the tool.

I run a web site for a golf league and it does extensive statistics for the members.

You can view it at here.

machinari

Forum User
suprsidr, have you tried just using the "staticpages" plug-in?

suprsidr

Forum User
I actually do that myself, but I was trying to make it simpler for those who download it for themselves.

And like I said, I was under the impression that including lib-common and com_siteheader..ect. would also include session handling.
FlashYourWeb and Your Gallery with the E2 XML Media Player for Gallery2 - http://www.flashyourweb.com

suprsidr

Forum User
stupid
Well I figured it out, one . in the wrong place had my panties all in a bunch Laughing
It seems that if you have yourdomain.com. with the extra . then gl thinks it is no longer on yourdomain whowoodathunkit!

for those interested, the updated code is ready for download here.

Thanks for making me think about it.

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:46 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content