Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, March 19 2024 @ 10:01 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

2-year-old son's Geeklog site.

dasbecca

Anonymous
My 2-year-old has his own site-- I'm one of those dorky moms who got him a domain two months after he was born. He moved to Eeklog.com recently (his initials are actually EEK), and we worked on this design together. Those are actually his illustrations in the header. Very Happy

I just wanted to show it off because I think it's one of the most visually customized Geeklog sites I've ever done, and I haven't ever seen it GL used for anyone under 20 before. Heh.

One last time-- here's the link: Eeklog

asmaloney

Forum User

Wow - a two-year old's design puts all my work to shame. Wink

I really like the way you've customised it - barely looks like a GL site. Fun design!

- Andy

beewee

Forum User
Well, IMHO you just won the 2005 Geeklog skin contest, very creative and nice.

I assume you're a professional designer?
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

ofey

Forum User
envious
That Elia is one lucky kid. What an incredible mom and what a perfect site for a kid.
Best of luck with your site Elia.

Shane

PS:Andy I think your site, a brilliant idea for travelling. Looks great too.

Those who say it can't be done, are usually interrupted by others doing it.

Soopaman

Anonymous
by far the best GL site I have been lucky enough to experience. Keep up the great work, and send the communities best to your family, and your innovative son Wink

samstone

Forum User
If there is a theme contest, you would definitly win the first price. You got my big vote!

Sam

dasbecca

Forum User
happy
Thank you all SO MUCH for your kind words. I really can't tell you how much they meant-- I worked for several days on the site and it's so nice to have the hard work appreciated. Very Happy I was almost afraid to post, because I thought people would be like, "Who cares about a toddler's page?", but this response is even better than I could have hoped.

I was a designer before I had Eli... When he was born, I went into stay-at-home-mom mode. Having a site for him was a fun way to keep myself evolving in that field, and it also gave me a chance to make a form of baby book: I could record all his first steps, first words, etc. Plus this way, all the relatives could "see" him more frequently and know what's going on in his life. Wink Geeklog was a perfect product for this too... I'm always marveling over how expansive and versatile it is.

ScurvyDawg

Forum User
Fantastic work on both your sons geeklog and your own.

Graphic artist maybe??

very nice email and print icons and great layouts on both of the sites I saw.

Very cool thank you for showing us all your great work.

machinari

Forum User
Yes Yes, I agree with all the above!

I am very impressed. That is a wonderful job you've done there. ...and I'm sure your kids will have a great time looking through their online scrapbook once they're older.

rjrufo

Forum User
Regular Poster
I too think that it's the best theme design, and an incredible concept too. Just think ahead 50 years, he'll have his whole life story online!

I just wish that I had thought about it for my son... But then again, we didn't have the internet back then Rolling Eyes

samstone

Forum User
I Remember a while back Blaine asked people to develop more themes for Geeklog. We can definitely use some themes with faminine touch because, IMHO, the themes here are too masculine, compare to other CMS. Blah Blah Blah Blah ...

I encourage you to contribute some themes here.

Sam

beewee

Forum User
the themes here are too masculine
Yep, the current themes (except some really nice theme from Axonz and Aeonserv) lack creativity and 'human touch'. They're all grey and blue, the most boring colors IMO.

machinari

Forum User
Quote by beewee:the current themes (except some really nice theme from Axonz and Aeonserv) lack creativity and 'human touch'. They're all grey and blue, the most boring colors IMO.

so I guess you're not interested in the StreamPro theme--blue and grey. Doh! - that was a mistake

beewee

Forum User
@Machinari: To be honest: I do like parts of it, and do not like parts of it.

What I like: enough whitespace, the menu on the top left, the story-layout (except the courier-fonts, my taste would be a very small grey Verdana)

What I do not like: the grey images behind the blocktitle (so 1998-ish), the hovering-effect of the borders around the block-info (only hover the bgcolor please).

But I know how much time and effort it takes to make your own theme (I'm busy with this), so I have to say that you really did a nice job.

BTW Your blue isn't that bad..it's a bit brighter!
@Machinari

gmon750

Forum User
Well, I bow down to your greatness. The site (as well as your personal site) is fantastic. You have a wonderful eye!

I also agree that it is one of the nicest sites I've seen to-date. Is it painful to upgrate GL/Gallery when a new release is published?

Btw, Gallery is a wee-bit outdated. Would recommend updating it to the current release.

Keep up the great work!

Eddie Cool
Work because you want to...
Not because you have to.

vbgunz

Forum User
Wow, that really is a reeally reeeally nice site design and layout you got there Wink That's incredible and you just made me miss theming even more than I miss it now. Outside of incredible it is very beautiful and I take my hat off to your work.

I'd would love to see you release an original theme outside of your son's so his will hopefully always remain an original work of art. On the 10 point scale you've scored a 10! Now how about that theme for the rest of us!?

Thanks!
Victor B. Gonzalez -
http://aeonserv.com

TechSys

Anonymous
I have to agree with everybody else. That site is verrrrrry nice. Your son is lucky to have a mother like you.

Kids themes. That is something that you don't see with just about all CMS's, and should be thought about.

Keep up the good work. Hopefully you'll release some themes for the community.

Benta

Anonymous
Quote by dasbecca: I worked for several days on the site .

Only days? I couldn't have done it in weeks. It's brilliant.

Quote by dasbecca:
I was a designer before I had Eli...

And a very good one, apparently.

SmackDaddy

Forum User
Chatty
Quote by TechSys: I have to agree with everybody else. That site is verrrrrry nice. Your son is lucky to have a mother like you.

Kids themes. That is something that you don't see with just about all CMS's, and should be thought about.

Keep up the good work. Hopefully you'll release some themes for the community.

I'd have to mirror the sentiments above....the site is VERY nice! And my daughters (all three of them) are interested in making their own sites and I'd love to be able to have more "kids themes" available as well...

I'd love to see dasbecca release this or other themes to the GL community!

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:01 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content