Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, May 04 2024 @ 05:05 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Just a little curious about this...

Don

Forum User
I use GeekLog for a political blog, and today I got linked to by one of the uber-blogs - a guy who gets about a half million visitors a day.

After my server recovered (I got what's known as 'farked' - so many people hit the site at one time, my server couldn't handle it and the site went down for a time), I looked at the views for the post that was linked to - over 8,000 views and counting!

I went to SiteMeter to look at what the numbers were for the day, and I was disappointed to find that not only did my numbers go down for the day, but those 8,000+ page views didn't even show up on the tracker!

How can I get over 8K visits to a post and have none of them be recorded by SiteMeter? I'm truly scratching my head over this one.

-Don

keystone430

Forum User
Chatty
Does the sitemeter show up on the page when you click on the link to the post? It may be counting only front page hits not hits on specific articles or inside pages.

Don

Forum User
Yup, that's why.

Frustrating. thanks.

-Don

weyrcat AT gmail.com

Anonymous
curious
So... If I were to PUT the SiteMeter code somewhere...
Where.. would I put it..
And... assuming I couldnt just use the happy html version, what would I use?

http://www.sitemeter.com/?a=manager&area=htmlcode&page=justhtml

They have a PhPNuke one... (but suggesting that MIGHT just show my limited knowledge of said PhP Razz)

Halp!
:pray:

http://www.weyrcat.com/blog

CavemanJoe

Forum User
Chatty
Congratulations on getting well and truly Farked!

Regarding site statistics - I've found, through recent experimentation, that Clicky and Geeklog can be very good friends. Just one line of code in footer.thtml and you're sorted. I could go on for ages about how ace Clicky is, but let's see if I can find the post I made about it on another forum...

Yeah, here we go:

It's like Google Analytics, except it's awesome. It's got RSS feeds, so I can read - on my PHONE, damn it - all my stats from the past however long. Also, the "Spy" page is fantastic - it gives a real-time view of who's looking at what pages on my site.
For example, right now I can see that someone is looking at RetroReviews.net, and they came here from this forum. They started off looking at games sorted by rating, and then they looked at scrolling beat-em-ups, and then they read the Blood Brothers review, and they're still looking at the site right now. I know this because I'm watching them.

If you're from Hicksville, NY, USA, using FireFox and Windows with a 1024*768 resolution, then you should be aware - I'm watching you.

Here's that link again: Try Clicky.

(full disclosure - this is an affiliate link, but that doesn't change how much Clicky rocks)
Silly browser RPG: improbableisland.com!

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:05 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content