Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, May 02 2024 @ 03:21 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Menu help

ohNoes!

Anonymous
I'm trying to configure a navigation menu similar to the one at:

http://www.m-n-m.net

I'm assuming that the Menu plugin is the way to do this? Also on their site, the main page has no topics listed in the menu, meaning that only the posts currently shown there can be displayed, there is no way to change the category between HotNews and General (the categories they use). I'd like to do the same thing but am not sure how. Does this make sense? I'd like to be able to post news messages that will show up on the main page, that can not be removed in any way from that page by the user. If they're on the homepage, I want them looking at the messages I posted.

beewee

Forum User
If they're on the homepage, I want them looking at the messages I posted.

While submitting a story you have the option: show on frontpage as well / show only in topic.

I'd like to be able to post news messages that will show up on the main page, that can not be removed in any way from that page by the user.

If you really want that: stick to one topic and use the featured story option for hot news. You can make a different story template for featured stories where you can add the slogan Hot News or somelike like that. Featured stories remain to the top of the page for a certain time (which is set in config.php).

The menu in m-n-m.net is just a simple block with html coded links.
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

ohNoes!

Anonymous
The menu in m-n-m.net is just a simple block with html coded links.

Oh ok, so that's why their links change color on hover and are so close together. I installed the menu plugin after originally posting and couldn't figure out how they had done it, although I sort of like my own results now.

You can make a different story template for featured stories where you can add the slogan Hot News or somelike like that.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Do you mean you can have two seperate templates for stories under the same topic, allowing you to choose one template over the other based on the situation (Hot News vs. Regular News, both under topic "News" for example)? If so, how?

Featured stories remain to the top of the page for a certain time (which is set in config.php).

I'm sure taking a look at the config file will tell me, but can you sticky a story indefinetly? To kind of serve as a "Welcome" block? I like the formatting a lot better in the stories than in in the static pages.

And one last thing...how do you put a hyperlink in a story? When going to post a new story, the anchor tag isn't listed as one of the "allowed" HTML options...
     7  Quote

beewee

Forum User
Do you mean you can have two seperate templates for stories under the same topic, allowing you to choose one template over the other based on the situation

Yes, in a sort of way, but you can only have one featured story and it's positioned on top.

that's why their links change color on hover

No, that's pure CSS (have a look at www.w3schools.com)

I like the formatting a lot better in the stories than in in the static pages.

OK, but a static page is the best choice for a welcome block, you can put it in a block if you like. And you still have the featured story option left.

how do you put a hyperlink in a story?

Just fill in (in text mode) www.yourdomain.com and Geeklog makes an Autolink. In HTML mode you can use the anchortag, it's listed in the allowed tags.

Hope everything is clear now, greetz from the Netherlands,
Bas

Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:21 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content