Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 05:50 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Premium Plugin : Configuration Manager

GeeklogWorks

Forum User
Junior
I am working on a plugin for geeklog that will allow people to edit configuration without opening any ftp programs. I hope to release it within the week. Big Celebration
The only true Geeklog host with technical support! www.GeeklogWorks.com

ScurvyDawg

Forum User

[rant]

Whats with all the premium plugins nowadays.

Does nobody believe in giving back to the community thats offers them so much for free anymore?

This does not bode well for the future of our community if every plugin to the base system is some possibly expensive plugin.

Now no attack on you Geeklogworks but this seems to be becoming a trend around here and I for one am disappointed to see it.

I am not the worlds greatest dev but I have given back to the community a few times and have never charged anything for what I have offered back to the community that supports me and my sites so well.

Why do so many people feel justified in taking and never giving back? You for instance GLW seem to have a business supporting and hosting nothing but GeekLog if your making money off of Geeklog have you ever donated to the cause? Have you offered other non premium plugins?

I to do some hosting on the side too and have offered my hosting services to the GL team in the past and that is a standing offer; I have also occasionally donated money. These premium plugins are going to kill what we both obviously love so much GeekLog.

Blah Blah Blah Blah ... Just my two cents
[/rant]

mach

Anonymous
easy Dawg, remember your blood pressure. Shocked

machinari

Forum User
Quote by GeeklogWorks: allow people to edit configuration without opening any ftp programs.
does this mean that you will be need config.php to be writable? hmmm... is there a security issue there? I'm not sure, just sounds like there could be. Or are you doing a database thing?

GeeklogWorks

Forum User
Junior
The rating system is free and it will be continuously updated. The reason the configuration manager is of premium is because it's not necessary to configure geeklog(if you want to use ftp fine), it's also not progressive to the cause of geeklog like, say, forum was. Geeklog will be fine, with or without, the configuration manager. It's only for people who feel it's necessary to ease their use of the system. Thank you.
The only true Geeklog host with technical support! www.GeeklogWorks.com

Remdotc

Forum User
Chatty
What I find amazing is Opensource. Its just frigging cool I can download a kick ass piece of software, tweak it to my hearts desire, and then recompile it to do what ever I like. I love that about open source.

As for Premium plugins, hey anyone wants to write original code that works into geeklog, and charge for it, great. Let them, it just draws more popularity and support for Geeklog.

As for the code itself, well, once again, as long as it does not use one single line from geeklog, beyond the apis, its closed. Which is good. The second a developer opens up an opensource coded product and starts taking, adding and removing lines then redestributes that as a source product, now they are in complete violation of the GPL and you take action accordingly.

As for Support on opensource products, if someone wants to, by all meens let them. Usually though, if someone is willing to dig arround a bit they find all the free tech support they want, in most open source communties.

As a limited web developer, I would love to release a couple of the code chunks i have made for geeklog, unfortunatly as with my current employment situation, If i did, they could place myself and possibly geeklog at risk for nasty IPO infringement all because i made a couple of mods and my tiny braing may accidently retain some code in one project as i coded my own webpage.

Just my thoughts. I really would love to just start translating and submitting quick and diirty ports of software to geeklog, just cant right now Banging your head

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:50 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content