Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, March 19 2024 @ 02:25 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Geeklog Sites with Gallery

Page navigation

ronack

Forum User
I am trying to get a good idea of the different Gallery Integrations. I've found a couple in integrations searching the forum but I would like to see more. So far I think I like the 4images intregration.

If you have a Gallery Intregration show me and tell me what you think of the intregration/hack/addon.

Gallery (Geeklog)
4images
Coppermine
others????

knuff

Forum User
Hi,

Using Gallery, main reason is that Galley was there first and didn't feel like porting over a few years of family history into another image solution.

I kinda like the integration, but I didn't really do any comparison with other Image software.

Our Family Website´s Gallery

A list of Geeklog sites using Gallery: here

Best Regards,
Boris
Vanrillaer.com - our Family Portal

rgustafs

Forum User
I've been using gallery 1.x since 2000 (I think) and it works really well for me. I just integrated it with geeklog a couple of days ago and the two seem to work very well together. With gallery 2 already in beta and using sql, I certainly think the two packages will have a good future together. Haven't tried any others worth mentioning.

Here's my site

Cheers!

-Ryan

destr0yr

Forum User
Since Gallery natively started supporting GL, I have had no issues with it... My gallery gets a respectable amount of traffic as well (not really work safe). I am using Gallery 1.5-RC1... although i see rc2 has been released so hopefully by the time your read this, it'll be RC2 Smile
-- destr0yr
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -- Douglas Adams

ronack

Forum User
Here is an example of 4images.

ronack

Forum User
Here is another 4images site.

ajzz

Forum User
Regular Poster
Have used native "embedded gallery" integration since available and prior to that with the integration available in dwnlds. See here and here.

G2 will come (the beta doesnt yet) with full import support for G1.x. Looked for some G2 beta instances using links in the gallery forums and the front-end looks quite similar to some of the 4im sites on this thread. As also mentioned above the DB backend means better scalability especially when you go over several thousand images - so I plan to stick to it.

destr0yer, just checked your site - I see you are still getting this error with the stats plugin. See that thread for more details.

Cheers folks,

Ajay

ronack

Forum User
Gallery is at version 1.5RC2, is that different then the Gallery Plugin for Geeklog?

ajzz

Forum User
Regular Poster
Certainly is... the integration plugin is sort of a middle-layer making one (Gallery) run inside the Geeklog environment (embedded).

For the past few versions of Gallery, this integration is internally available with the gallery install - all you need to do is tell gallery it is "embedded" in geeklog and it will do the rest for you.

Cheers, Ajay

Ps: If it helps, the Ewiki plugin in contrast has both the middle-layer and the ewiki software within the install - so you would need to wait for new versions from euan (or instructions) to update only the ewiki part.

destr0yr

Forum User
Quote by ajzz:destr0yer, just checked your site - I see you are still getting this error with the stats plugin. See that thread for more details.

Cheers folks,

Ajay

I had just enabled the stats plugin too... Good catch, thanks Exclamation
-- destr0yr
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -- Douglas Adams

vadertech

Forum User
Quote by destr0yr: My gallery gets a respectable amount of traffic as well

And I can see why Laughing
GeekLog Hosting, Installations and Upgrades - WWW.AWEHOST.COM - Hosting starts @ only $4.95/mo.

newblogger

Forum User
Regular Poster
I have three sites currently running geeklog and I have three different gallery's. They are all reside on the same server, do a ping or nslookup to see. All three have the necessary add ons or extensions. I think the easiest to set up was the 4images. I like gallery the best and it was also easy to set-up but required imagemagick. I running all my sites on a w2k box. I have also tried various forums/bloggers. I have ran the majority of them all and I like GeekLog the best. And for ecommerce I like Zen-Cart, and finally for the gallery, I like gallery.

See Coppermine here
See 4images here
See Gallery here
Got Hot wheels? http://www.dcmotoring.com

ronack

Forum User
I'm leaning toward 4images.

Newblogger, is that your own template or one that you downloaded?

newblogger

Forum User
Regular Poster
for which site are you referring?
Got Hot wheels? http://www.dcmotoring.com

ronack

Forum User
Sorry, the 4images one.

Benta

Forum User
Regular Poster
Quote by knuff: Hi,

Using Gallery, main reason is that Galley was there first and didn't feel like porting over a few years of family history into another image solution.

I kinda like the integration, but I didn't really do any comparison with other Image software.

Our Family Website´s Gallery

How do you make it integrated into Geeklog like that?

I installed the Gallery-Geeklog integration according to instrauctions, but mine looks like http://www.iowaoutdoors.org/gallery/,

I.e, when I go to the Gallery, I don't get the geeklog code around the picture galler, the HTML is coming without any.
Text Formatted Code
<head>

or
Text Formatted Code
<html>

tags in the beginning.

I use gl 1.3.11.

Benta

Forum User
Regular Poster
Quote by Benta:

How do you make it integrated into Geeklog like that?

I installed the Gallery-Geeklog integration according to instrauctions, but mine looks like http://www.iowaoutdoors.org/gallery/,

I.e, when I go to the Gallery, I don't get the geeklog code around the picture galler, the HTML is coming without any tags in the beginning.

I use gl 1.3.11.

I found one error...Gallery, for some really annoying reason, set the permissions to everything in the setup dir to owner; root, permissions:"nothing for anyone ever". So Apache can't read it, and probably can't see the settings. I don't have root access, so i can't fix it.

Well, time to call teh admin...

ronack

Forum User
Looks like I'm going with 4images. I like the way it uses templates and can be customized and it's ease of use and administer.

samstone

Forum User
But, 4images hasn't been updated for years. The sites I have used 4images have now been updated with Gallery. I have only one 4images site left. Since Gallery is very active, security flaws are caught faster and got fixed sooner.

I like some of the features in 4images, like the postcard sending. But I am not quite happy with the years of inactivity. Their forum is still active, but a lot of work to find what you want.

Anyway, that's individual preferance.

ronack

Forum User
I may try both 4images and Gallery, just to compare. I have already installed 4images after a little of coaxing. Still have a problem with updating the 4images users db when a new user logs in, but other than that it looks real nice.

Page navigation

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:25 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content