Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 06:25 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Topic Overview Static Page

tokyoahead

Anonymous
Hi,

Tokyoahead.com is (again) proud to announce a small adition to the geeklog environment:

A Topic Overview Static page. This is a small "theft" from the respective Slashdot-page, but I guess an idea like this is not (yet) patented...

This can be specially helpful if you have a LOT of topics and you made a special menu where you dont want to list them all

The page lists all topics that the current user is allowed to see, together with its icon. You can see the page in action here.

Download it here on my page or on the local download section as soon as the download is approved.

Robin

Forum User
Cool addition Smile
However when you click on the icon/link you get Page not found Sad
Robert
Geeklog Polish Support Team

tokyoahead

Anonymous
Sorry for that.
There was a slash missing.
I fixed the file, and corrected the link above. Please just cklick on it again and download version 1.1

thanks for the notice!!

n4th4n

Forum User
Chatty
Im having a wierd problem where the page works, but no matter how its set, it won't show the right blocks. I poked through it quickly, but I suppose it will require a more thorough look unless there is something simple I'm not seeing. Im on the professional theme and all other static pages can be set as "left and right blocks" without issue.

tokyoahead

Anonymous
check out a fix that was posted here.

this one IS RETURN TYPE!

n4th4n

Forum User
Chatty
Thanks, but using the fix (Return type) php, it's still loading up as a left block only (though it is set as left+right). I notice that the icons have moved over to the right a little bit now. Could there be some missing closing table, table data or table row tags? I see it works fine on your site Smile

If I don't evaluate php, the page displays as left+right fine (though of course since the php is not evaluated, you just see a bunch of php code)

tokyoahead

Anonymous
can you post the URL of the staitc page?

n4th4n

Forum User
Chatty
I just emailed you the link. The footer position may give you an indication of what's happening I dunno. Here's the output of php --version in case that helps:

PHP 4.3.10 (cli) (built: Dec 20 2004 06:18:46)
Copyright (c) 1997-2004 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies
with Zend Extension Manager v1.0.6, Copyright (c) 2003-2004, by Zend Technologies
with Zend Optimizer v2.5.7, Copyright (c) 1998-2004, by Zend Technologies

tokyoahead

Anonymous
Actuall I just found the problem.
there is a variable used in your version of Static pages that is the same as in my static page and there is some conflict.
I renamed all A-Variables to B-variables and it works now!

somehow this comes up only in your version. You might have an older one than the current.

to fix it, search all uccurences of $A and replace them by $B.

Oliver

n4th4n

Forum User
Chatty
A big public "Thanks a heap!". I now use two of your plugins (topicoverview and randomphoto) and they both are really neat additions to my site. Thanks again for your quick attention to the matter!

tokyoahead

Anonymous
Version 2.0 is out!

Download at here at my homepage.

Version 2 Additions:
- choose between CSS or Tables (see settings below)
- Show Storycount & Submissioncount (depending on config.php setting)

please tell me if you have questions and suggestions.

n4th4n

Forum User
Chatty
Great work! I've got so many lists of links in blocks on my site, this provides an easier and more elegant gateway to the topics listing. I added some text in my installation of this static page to explain what topics are and what clicking on the icons does (for users who are unfamiliar with geeklog). If you've spent a lot of time working on your topic icons, this provides a nice way to showcase them all to normal members and anonymous users of your site (since this display is on the admin page, its normally only available to admins)

tokyoahead

Anonymous
True.
Speically if you show all your stories on the frontpage anyhow. There is no real need to list all the topics in a block.

machinari

Forum User
i LIKE it!

tokyoahead

Anonymous
I just released the version 2.1 at my site.. I will post this release also here.

Version 2.1 Additions:
- minor html corrections
- optional rewrap for css-option
- code tuning
- margin options for css
- code commented

for those who have been going through all the updates note that this is basically the final version of this code.

I tried to tune it to the max w/o overloading it. So you dont have to expect another update in the next 24 hrs :-)

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:25 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content