Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, May 16 2024 @ 01:36 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Multiple users with the same e-mail address

beewee

Forum User
I'm running a portal soon where some users will share the same e-mail address (some shops in different towns but belonging to the same organisation).

Geeklog blocks the submission of multiple users with the same e-mail address. Where can I find that protection? Can I comment it out or do I have to change that piece of code??

I've searched the forum already but could'n find it.
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by beewee: Geeklog blocks the submission of multiple users with the same e-mail address.

There's a reason for this, of course.

Obviously, when 2 users share one email address and one of them requests a new password for his/her account, the other user will also get that email and, if he's quick, can get into the other user's account that way.

There are other places that rely on the email addresses being unique. The Daily Digest, for example, and the Admin's Mail Users function.

bye, Dirk

beewee

Forum User
In this case the users are companies, new users are only submitted by Admin, we'll be using a new database with consumers for the daily digest and the users who share the same e-mailaddress are from the same company.

But you mention a damn good point with the lost password retrieval....this means that the lost passwords may not be sent by e-mail but will be displayed in the browser after asking a question like 'what's the name of you mother' or something like that. And when we send the welcome e-mails to the 500 new users from the batch we will have to send them their fullname and perhaps their address/toen as well. Pff, that's gonna cost me money....
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:36 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content