Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, May 08 2024 @ 03:47 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Website with GL backend

vadertech

Forum User
Let's say I buy a website template from monstertemplates.com. Is it possible to use the template but also use GL backend abilities such as login, plugins, blocks, search function, etc.

I know I would have to install GL and I know I would have to include lib-common.php and config.php from the website template.

Is this about all thats involved or would this be alot more difficult? Can anyone maybe point me in the right direction?

The reason I ask is GL already has all these ablilties built in but what I'm wanted to do wouldn't really have any use for a content blog or posting stories.
GeekLog Hosting, Installations and Upgrades - WWW.AWEHOST.COM - Hosting starts @ only $4.95/mo.

knuff

Forum User
Hi,

Given your track record here at Geeklog, I don't really undersand the question Mr. Green

As you know geeklog template structure is specific to geeklog and if you buy a "template" from templatemonsters you can surely use the graphics and colorschemes to create all the .thtml files, but it will be basicly the same as just looking at the online preview and recoding all the template files (we could argue whether color schemes are copyrighted).

So besides the average 50 euro you pay for the template and source image files, you will have to add some considerable time in creating the .thtml files and using all the geeklog specific variables.

You might be cheaper off with asking one of the better theme developers here to create your custom design.

Best Regards,
Boris
Vanrillaer.com - our Family Portal

vadertech

Forum User
Buying the template isn't my decision or project. I'm just kinda helping out with it. I don't know much about writing code. I know GL has the external page plugin which adds security to other sites but what about the functions. Why spend the time configuring other scripts when GL has it included?

Dirk or Blaine?

I dont really understand why you mean by "my track record here at Geeklog". I know some but not all. Mr. Green (if it was a compliment, thanks)
GeekLog Hosting, Installations and Upgrades - WWW.AWEHOST.COM - Hosting starts @ only $4.95/mo.

machinari

Forum User
Quote by vadertech: Let's say I buy a website template from monstertemplates.com. Is it possible to use the template but also use GL backend abilities such as login, plugins, blocks, search function, etc.

in a word, no.
the "template" that you would buy from monstertemplates is not the same type of template idea that is being used by geeklog. Geeklog template files are specific to a particular template class. Those "templates" you would buy are basic HTML pages with some Java, etc., but in no ways will allow a Geeklog backend.

You would have to, at the very least, break apart your bought "template" into proper gl type template files, as knuff suggested, not forgetting to create all required-by-geeklog template files. ....and then insert the geeklog variables into their appropriate template files. You've just created a theme based upon the look of a monstertemplate's template.

requiring gl's function files may provide limited functionality with your effort, but you may end up with more troubles as gl functions are very integrated into the whole of the gl backend.
hope it works out Just my two cents

ScurvyDawg

Forum User

I am familiar with the template files you talk about. I think yes you can take what they are offering and turn it into your geeklog them by chopping it up and making your thtml files.

It would certainly take some time to do but I bet the final product would be great. Chopping up the basic html theme and turning it into your GL theme is where it will be hard. I wonder how their PHPNuke themes are formatted?

Good luck and let us know what you learn about doing this. I know I may have to do the same some day.

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:47 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content