Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Monday, April 29 2024 @ 08:54 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

I have a shadow

samstone

Forum User
Someone is following me like a shadow on my site. My visitor stats shows this guy from "sprint-65-160-238-180.smf.ragingwire.net" tracing most (not all) the path I go, especially the admin areas. But the error.log shows:

Someone has tried to illegally access the Stats Admin page. User id: , Username: , IP: 65.160.238.180
Someone has tried to illegally access the Stats page. User id: , Username: , IP: 65.160.238.180

I registered this domain yesterday, and started creating a site on it. Today I have two annonymous visitors already. The other guy browsed every pages, and that's it, but this one makes me suspicious since the stats shows where he has been and where I have been are similar.

I checked my other sites and also find this guy having been there. Sometimes after a few minutes I log in, I would see an annonymous visitor in the who's online block and started to follow my path. If it is a robot, it should not follow my admin area.

My ISP is OptOnline, and I have nothing to do with "ragingwire" so it couln't be that the stats is seeing double vision of myself.

Any experiance? Try to check your stats and see if the "ragingwire" is in there.

Sam

tokyoahead

Anonymous
did you check if you have some spyware installed?
some of this spyware is transferring your browser behavior to another server and they try to find out what you are doing to place custom pop-ups etc.

try using another browser such as firefox or opera and look if the problem is still there. generally IE is not a good idea IMHO.

samstone

Forum User
I did a scan and found nothing but a bunch of tracking cookies.

Sam

tokyoahead

Anonymous
well if the behavior is persistant I would still change the browser and see what happens.

obviously the information has to be leaked either through the OS or the browser. Since only IE is linked close enough to the OS and is usually very happy to let in trouble, this would be the first thing I would change. Just my two cents

I am not an expert on anti-spy software, so I cannot tell you how probable it is that the malicious component cannot be found.
Another possibility would be a portscanner to find out what kind of information is going in and out of your PC when you click a link on the web.

samstone

Forum User
You are right. It is only on IE that I have the shadow. However, some of the features I need regularly are not on both Mozilla and Firefox. So I have to come back to IE when I need those features.

I've now installed the Ban plugin and banned that IP. I am thankful for Tom's Stats plugin, otherwise I wouldn't know these bots working on my site.

Sam

tokyoahead

Anonymous
I would recommend to get a better viruskiller and to try some different anti-spyware software

samstone

Forum User
More testing. It also follows me around in Mozilla, but on in Firefox.

Sam

Weldon

Anonymous
Do you have a Bluecoat Proxy on your network?

samstone

Forum User
This is already 3 years old. I don't even remember I had posted this.

Later I found out it was from the parental control feature that came with the Belkin router. They have stopped providing that service now.

Peace!

Sam

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:54 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content