Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 11:38 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Blocks in a splash page?

inspiremin

Forum User
Regular Poster
I am trying to design a template that would show 3 blocks, side by side, just below the logo/header. The blocks would include: 5 latest articles, 5 latest posts, and a 'fortune' type block that would rotate descriptions of available content.

How would I design a splash page to include blocks like that?

All help, of course, greatly appreciated!

inSPIREmin
www.Scripturetoolkit.com www.inSPIREministries.com

tokyoahead

Anonymous
make a static page.
put your site on domain.com/start
redirect domain.com to the static page.

on the static page, put PHP the code
the latest posts and stories are quite easy to do.
check out the static page that I put online for "changeowner" to see how it might work.

the last block is tricky since you need to know where the content comes from.

following points to watch:
- you have to make sure people see only what they are allowed to see. if you have non-public stories, make sure to use the function in the SEC_ class.
- if you do the construct with the static page and the redirect, you have the advantage that your home-page does not get changed. you simply have a true spasl-screen with custom content.
- the fortune block might have a database in the background which might be some work. maybe its better to hard-code it into the page. Or make several other blocks that you name block_1 block_2 and call them by number randomly.

machinari

Forum User
Quote by inspiremin: I am trying to design a template that would show 3 blocks, side by side, ...
yes yes.... there is always the table with 3 cells that will give you the layout for your content. another way would be to float your blocks, e.g., using CSS, float: left;. an issue with the CSS method might be the dynamic width of a webpage, if it is dynamic, becoming less than is necessary to display 3 blocks and so the 3rd block wraps below the 1st one.
...yup, there it is.
Blah Blah Blah Blah ...

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:38 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content