Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, May 08 2024 @ 10:03 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Instant Account Creation - No email verification

AlllanH

Anonymous
I need users to be able to choose their password at the time of account creation and be immediately logged in with the chosen password sent in a 'welcome' email.

My client wants the process to be as easy as possible, so the form needs to be only user name and password with email *optional*. I think they're insane, but hey, who am I to argue?

Before I delve into the code and try to hack this, I'm hoping someone has done this before and could give a little hand? A forum search didn't do much for me, so...

Many thanks in advance.

- Allan

PS running 1.3.9sr2 on linux box

AlllanH

Anonymous
[ bump ] I can probably hack this myself, but it'll take me ages to do it right. I'd really, really appreciate some help Smile

Thanks Smile

- Allan

machinari

Forum User
i cant help you with the code, but... you realize that in that environment, you will have a huge problem with spam? might as well not use a login system if anyone can be logged in as soon as they sign up--not even a verified email and even if there is a verification, it may be someone else's email addy.

you may need to set your client straight. Leaves me speechless

mthomas

Forum User
Well unles you totally disable the Mail modules you'll need email addresses. To disable the check for Email Address at account creation then you need to comment out the lines for checking for email and if there is a conflict in the users.php files.

AllanH

Anonymous
Quote by machinari: you realize that in that environment, you will have a huge problem with spam?

I hadn't actually thought of that issue - I will bring this forth to my client right away.

Quote by machinari: might as well not use a login system if anyone can be logged in as soon as they sign up--

Well the idea is that we offer user services that require that I have some reference to the user. So we need registration, but my client is correct in one thing, email verification does scare some users off.

Quote by machinari: not even a verified email and even if there is a verification, it may be someone else's email addy.

I know. It's insane. Hopefully the spam thing will kill their aspirations.

Thanks.

Quote by mthomas:Well unles you totally disable the Mail modules you'll need email addresses.

Yeah. I haven't even looked at trying to do it yet, as I'm procrastinating, hopefully for long enough that they'll come to their senses.

For the time being, I've compromised with them by coding my plugin so that it allows anonymous users to submit to it, while stressing that we prefer if they register as they'll get more options to manage their listings.

They still want me to undo the email verification though, but I'm definitely resisting - worst case scenario I'll get to submit a massive bill for the all the extra work involved from their stupidity.

Thanks for the help guys Smile

mthomas

Forum User
If they need extra convinving feel free to give me a call or email, if I have a short decriptions of the proposed project I can offer some suggestions and you can use them as third party comment to help your position.

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:03 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content