Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Monday, May 06 2024 @ 05:11 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

RSS feeds - Blocks not showing up

jennamatic

Anonymous
stupid
I know this is probably something small I'm missing... but if some could help me set up my rss feeds I'd really appreciate it.

I have set up portal blocks for my feeds that seem to be working. The content sections in my blocks seem to be generating feed information, however the blocks do not show up on my site- even though they're enabled. They do not show up in my topics section, either.

Frankly, I'm a little unsure on how to get these feeds to display on the site all together. Excuse my newbie-ness here, but if anyone would be willing to explain things I would be forever grateful. I've seen other GL sites that have their feeds displayed right under their 'blogging' section on the main page. This is something I'd like to do if someone would be willing to help me out.

THANKS VERY MUCH!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
What exactly are you trying to do?

Portal blocks are for importing feeds from other sites. If those don't work, you should usually get an error message. An example would help ...

Creating a feed for your site (via the "Content Syndication" entry in the Admin block) only creates a file on your webserver that others can use in their portal block (or some other RSS reader).

So with which of the two are you having problems?

bye, Dirk

Silencer

Anonymous
hopeful
Ok blocks is easy to check where your problem is. check it is enabled. Then check access rights, final option Check that Read is ticked for each group you want to have access.

jennamatic

Anonymous
Dirk:
I am having trouble importing RSS feeds from other sites.
I am not getting an error message.

I have made portal blocks for each of the feeds I'm trying to use. The blocks are enabled, have read access, and show up in my blocks section. I made a topic specificly for the feeds.

While the RSS blocks appear to be set up correctly, they do not show up. I don't get an error, there just isn't a block that show up. The topic I made for them shows 0/0 items ... but it should be showing my portal blocks? When I go into edit the blocks, the content section seems to be working, has what would appear to be the feed content & stuff.

Hope this explains things well enough... wish I could give you an error or something better to work with.

Silencer:
I have the portal blocks checked as enabled. I also have the read options ticked for the appropriate groups. When I go in to edit the portal blocks, the content sections have what would appear to be the feeds, but the blocks just aren't showing up anywhere.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by jennamatic: While the RSS blocks appear to be set up correctly, they do not show up.

Can you give us an example of a feed you're trying to import (URL)?

Quote by jennamatic: The topic I made for them shows 0/0 items ... but it should be showing my portal blocks?

Topics are for stories only. You can select blocks to appear in the side bar with a topic, but they will never appear in the middle section and that (0/0) will not change unless you post some stories under that topic.

bye, Dirk

jennamatic

Forum User
Thanks for explaining the topic stuff to me, as is obvious I've been pretty confused. ;Þ

feed urls:

http://www.livedaily.com/rss/rock-5.xml

http://www.polyphonic-ringtones-ring-tones.co.uk/xml/polyphonictones/rock-polyphonictones.xml

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by jennamatic: feed urls:

Sorry for the late reply - I was hunting a local bug that wasn't there ... Doh! - that was a mistake

Both feeds work for me.

Make sure the block is active. Also check your preferences (that was my problem ...), because you can disable blocks there ...

bye, Dirk

jennamatic

Anonymous
it was just a problem with my block settings - i got them working now!

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:11 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content