Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, May 02 2024 @ 12:41 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

RSS feed keeps resetting to empty

elect

Forum User
Chatty
Ok. On my old installation I had this problem, and now it seems I have it again.

The newsfeed for my site is found at http://www.blog.zeitgeistortgeist.com/backend/zeit.rdf

Yet, unless I resave my feed settings every day my feed is empty. Once I resave my feed settings (content syndication entry), the feed works fine.... but then a few hours later it's empty again.

My config file does say to look to
Text Formatted Code
$_CONF['rdf_file']  = $_CONF['path_html'] . 'backend/zeit.rdf'

And I've tried having it output the feed as other than rdf (although right now it's set to rdf) - no matter which output type I choose, however, it's always resetting to emtpy. I do have the upgraded feed php pages as well.

By the way, the rss feed was fine for every day I had this site up (4 days), and has only been doing this since I did the upgrade from 10r1 to 10r2... although I don't know if that's related.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by elect: Yet, unless I resave my feed settings every day my feed is empty. Once I resave my feed settings (content syndication entry), the feed works fine.... but then a few hours later it's empty again.

So far, you seem to be the only one with that problem. And I certainly can't explain it from the code. Which makes me wonder if it wasn't something on your server ...

bye, Dirk

ep

Forum User
Junior
Blah. This is two different hosting servers where this is happening.

All I can wonder is if there's some setting that is supposed to be done a certain way that I've inadvertently not set correctly. It was working fine on my new site (still doesn't work on my old site) until I upgraded to 10r2 a couple of days ago.

I'm testing to see something, actually... I think the problem may be related to a long name used for the output filename. I will let you know if using a shortname for the output filename fixes this.

elect

Forum User
Chatty
Well that didn't help matters.

The only thing I can think of that might be effecting this is the static page I have set up to read my own feed... I use the Heather Engineering suggestion as cited here. I wonder if it's because of the polling the php code is doing.

In any case, I've deleted the static page that was looking at my own feed, and have chosen to now check for content from a normal rss reader - if that does the trick then I guess I know what not to do in future installations.

elect

Forum User
Chatty
Yep, so far all is well with my output feed since getting rid of the static page where I was checking for my own output.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I haven't looked at Euan's code, but is it opening the RSS file for writing?

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:41 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content