Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, April 27 2024 @ 12:42 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

RSS feed questions

JohnnyWormtown

Forum User
Junior
two RSS feed questions

1) I love the fact that Mozilla can now "subscribe" to an RSS feed by putting the headlines into your bookmarks, but it seems that when I try the rss2 format that I downloaded from the Downloads section, it stops working. Anyone else played with this? Is there a little bug in that class or something? RSS 1 doesn't do line breaks or such, right?

2) My co-webmaster and the creator of my site (the owner of the idea) has this ridiculous habit of putting the headlines to all the stories in ALL CAPS. Is there a way I could change this for the RSS feed? Some little PHP trick on the way to the RDF file or something? Seems like it might be possible, but I'm not sure which file(s) I would need to tweak or how exactly I would tweak them...

On a related note, the 'feed validator' (feedvalidator.org) also doesn't like certain characters (like curly apostrophes, 'smart' quotes and long dashes) that show up in my stories occasionally. Is there already a function wirtten for geeklog that does something to those?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by JohnnyWormtown: My co-webmaster and the creator of my site (the owner of the idea) has this ridiculous habit of putting the headlines to all the stories in ALL CAPS. Is there a way I could change this for the RSS feed? Some little PHP trick on the way to the RDF file or something?

strolower and ucwords would come to mind ...

Quote by JohnnyWormtown: On a related note, the 'feed validator' (feedvalidator.org) also doesn't like certain characters (like curly apostrophes, 'smart' quotes and long dashes) that show up in my stories occasionally. Is there already a function wirtten for geeklog that does something to those?

Well, I'd try to avoid those character in the first place. Or maybe it's a question of using the proper character set (or locale) for the feed.

bye, Dirk

JohnnyWormtown

Forum User
Junior
Quote by Dirk:
Quote by JohnnyWormtown: My co-webmaster and the creator of my site (the owner of the idea) has this ridiculous habit of putting the headlines to all the stories in ALL CAPS. Is there a way I could change this for the RSS feed? Some little PHP trick on the way to the RDF file or something?

strolower and ucwords would come to mind ...

Great, now where do I use them? In lib-syndication? Or in the feed classes?

Quote by JohnnyWormtown: On a related note, the 'feed validator' (feedvalidator.org) also doesn't like certain characters (like curly apostrophes, 'smart' quotes and long dashes) that show up in my stories occasionally. Is there already a function wirtten for geeklog that does something to those?

Well, I'd try to avoid those character in the first place. Or maybe it's a question of using the proper character set (or locale) for the feed.

I don't really have control over what the users are pasting in when they submit the stories, but I wouldn't mind converting them all to acceptable punctuation right in the database, if I could do it when the story is submitted.

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:42 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content