Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 26 2024 @ 02:43 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Mambo Vs Geeklog dilemma, Help ?

GeekToBe

Anonymous
I want to create a community using either Vbulletin or Invision bulletin board. I havent decided on which. Now, as a front end to that forum board I want to use either Geeklog or Mambo. The biggest problem of course is user integration. So I have given up and I plan to disallow user registration to whatever front end I choose, either geeklog or Mambo. All registration will only be at the forum level.

Here are my questions for you Geeklog experts out there:

1) Is it possible to disallow users to login in Geeklog and still use it ? If possible, can I still allow users to post anonymous comments on articles or submit articles anonymously ? Would this create a security/spamming problem ?

2) Why would I choose geeklog over Mambo overall ?

Thanks for your time, its greatly appreciated

Robin

Forum User
Quote by GeekToBe:1) Is it possible to disallow users to login in Geeklog and still use it ?

Yes
Quote by GeekToBe:1)If possible, can I still allow users to post anonymous comments on articles or submit articles anonymously ?

Yes
Quote by GeekToBe:Would this create a security/spamming problem?

Possibly. You can always install anti-spam plugin.
Quote by GeekToBe:2) Why would I choose geeklog over Mambo overall ?

This has been discussed here earlier
Geeklog Polish Support Team

ByteEnable

Forum User
Mambo has legal problems. Read about here.

Byte

Remdotc

Forum User
Chatty
Oh the Joys of Mambo and Geeklog

I Use Geeklog and I use mambo. Here is what I have found.

Geeklog is secure mature code. Really, not as many bells or whisles as the various pukes..er nukes, but none the less, its a good system. Security is the major strength of Geeklog
The seconday feature with geeklog is templates. While the code has a few tidbits of hardcoded items like submit buttons, the rest of the site you can template out to your hearts content. Customization with geeklog isnt bad, since the programmers are sane and comment the various items and functions, so if you need or want to see how something works, it isnt overly difficult

Mambo
Mambo has been arround for years, and yes they are in a legal battle right now, which at this point its too early to tell what is going on. Mambo is good if you want to run a site out of the can, to speak. Customization with mambo is a complete nightmare from my experiences. Its main strength is its user friendly and simple. Its also its greatest weakness later on when you go to add more features.

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:43 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content